Accepting Medication & Respecting Anxiety

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

5 posts
CazH

by CazH on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:23 am

Accepting Medication & Respecting Anxiety

Morning everyone,

I was just wondering what experiences anyone has regarding medication for your anxiety - Do you take it, do you find it helps, are you embarrassed or ashamed to admit to taking it, how does it make you feel to be on it?

I there's a tendency for medications to be given without the consideration for the psychological impact of simply being on it. There's stigma and emotion and judgement, both towards yourself and perceived judgement from others/society as a whole, and that can result in people not taking prescriptions. There's also a degree of ignorance around mental health and anxiety because they can't be seen - an 'invisible illness' - but I'd argue that anxiety is very real, can have a huge impact on your life, and should be given the same respect as a physical illness.

Here's a full post to give a bit of my story http://invisiblyme.com/2016/10/21/how-i ... edication/

How does anyone else feel about taking medication for their anxiety?
talkhealth Women's Health, IBS & Mental Health Ambassador
talkhealth blogger

Founder of http://www.invisiblyme.com

buckley50

by buckley50 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Re: Accepting Medication & Respecting Anxiety

I read your post with interest . People deal with everything in life differently so I wondered - Did you pass your driving test ? I had similar anxiety as my family were high achievers . I failed 5 tests .Had a break and got new instructor and passed 2nd time . This was the tonic I needed. I was plagued with mental health issues aged 16 . Labelled with every trendy word at the time , given ECT , segregation , sectioned , drugged and injected . I went cold turkey and at 18 had a full time job . Milder relapse at 21 triggered by meeting a horror from my past. From the age of 24 to now aged 56 I have had no medication and no relapses. I met a decent man , had 5 children .They were and still are my medication .

Mobitoka

by Mobitoka on Sun May 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi buckley50,

Love your reply. It is true that as much as it is easier to deal with anxiety through medications, there are cheaper and more therapeutic ways to decrease or prevent it, and your family is one of those. Sport is also a good substitute for medicines.

Girldmator

by Girldmator on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:57 pm

I am glad I found this thread, I will recommend this to my few friends who has an issue like this. Thank you!

hundalmarck@gmail.com

by hundalmarck@gmail.com on Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:33 am

Great inspiring story, this type of story is really helpful for people suffering from anxiety.

5 posts