Dismissed because of depression

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

5 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Dismissed because of depression

Have you been dismissed from work because of mental health issues? That's exactly what has happened to Roy from Leeds.

The story is being told on twitter today with many people outraged by the discrimination Roy has experienced. As the tweets go it seems that Roy was open with his boss about his depression and then later the same day was fired.

Do you think this was fair? Do you think the same would be done to someone with a physical illness?

Follow the saga on twitter @badlydrawnroy
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

mansman

by mansman on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Re: Dismissed because of depression

I bet this sort of thing is quite common but brushed under the carpet!

Maxi05

by Maxi05 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:45 pm

My employers were very good. There were some issues lower down the ranks that contributed to my last onset of depression but once my rep got others involved and they realised their mistake they were very good. I got counselling at work and they put me on light duties when i wanted to return to work but wasn't able to fully commit.

I found my main concern was that people knew i had been off with depression and i found that stigma hard.

Its a taboo subject and no one wants to look you in the eye. Luckily no one other than my close friends asked me about it so i was able to refrain from constant questions from nosy gossips.

Everyone who knows the full story is now very supportive.

ernestelliott

by ernestelliott on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:25 pm

This is really unfair and according to me doesn't make any sense. Dismissing the employee just because he was under depression is really weird. All the other employees must have their stand with Roy, it today is Roy tomorrow it can be any one.

For all the people around here, who are stressed or depressed must switch to Meditation as soon as possible. Do use an Herbal Incense while meditating.

claudineriddle

by claudineriddle on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Depression can be very harmful at times. The only thing needed to recover from it is strength and willingness to fight against it. Spare time with your loved ones and talk about yourself with others so that you are able to take out the depressed feelings and feel happy.

5 posts