Unable to sleep

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

27 posts
Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:39 am

Unable to sleep

Hi,

For some time i have been having problems sleeping. The other day i only got 3 hours sleep and i usually only function when i have had a least 8!

I go through phases of not sleeping well then i will have a couple of nights of good sleep then another rubbish night.

My problem seems to be that if i haven't got to sleep in a certain time then i won't for ages. I am a worrier and that doesn't help but i have tried meditation, reading, putting the tv on low, getting up and doing something, lavender sleep spray and bach remedies but nothing seems to help.

Any advice you have please share...

Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: Unable to sleep

Update:

I had one really good nights sleep then another night with only a few hours. I have found that if i don't go to bed completely relaxed then it could be a bad night. I seem to be affected by worry, upset, happiness and any other emotion you can think of. Then i keep looking at the time counting down how many hours i have until i need to get up so then i get more stressed because i know i want 8 hours sleep and only have so many hours left.

I don't drink caffeine with the exception of a couple of cups of tea a day.

I don't relax easily and i'm always rushing around trying to get everything done.

Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:02 am

I seem to be having one bad night followed by one good night. This is obviously better than constant bad nights but one good night isn't enough to help me catch up and stop being tired.

Should i make myself get up earlier after i have had a good night so that i am even more tired for the next (bad) night or should i sleep a little longer to give my body a bit more of a catch up?

Lucy11

by Lucy11 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:23 pm

That sounds very frustrating! Have you tried things like lavender sprays and there is a bach remedy that is supposed to be quite good for helping you sleep. If you are interested i can find the name, i have a bottle somewhere. I have used it but can't be sure if it helped me or not!

Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks Lucy, would be great to have the name of that Bach thing! Used rescue remedy to help me through exams and my driving test so might be helpful.

I will try anything at the moment as i have spent the last 3 nights hardly sleeping and i am really struggling!

Lucy11

by Lucy11 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:50 pm

It is Dr Bach White Chestnut. It tastes of brandy but don't let that put you off (unless you like brandy - urgh i don't) you only have a few drops so its not too bad!

Hope that helps. Otherwise i would just try exercise and trying not to think of anything but it sounds like you have tried that!

claudineriddle

by claudineriddle on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:30 pm

Please maintain a proper sleep hygiene and discipline your sleep. :) Consult a sleep expert for some natural therapy or medicine :) Long term sleeplessness can make you a victim of sleep disorders too.

Kate99

by Kate99 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi thanks for your post but can you explain more about sleep hygiene and discipline please?

thanks

Lucy11

by Lucy11 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Salty Bear,

Hows your sleep now? Did any of the suggestions work?

Salty Bear

by Salty Bear on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:54 am

Hi

Thanks for asking about my sleep, it is generally better although i still have a couple of nights a week usually where i have trouble. Health problems have been the problem recently though so i am hoping that if i can get that sorted then my sleep will also improve.

I brought the white chestnut stuff and have tried it a few times. I often forget to use it of i'm honest but must try harder! I have cut down my caffeine intake and aim to not do anything that involves thinking before bed but this hasn't worked yet! Too much to do!

27 posts