Coronavirus

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
rtbm1234

by rtbm1234 on Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:25 am

Coronavirus

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me because to be honest, I am in quite a state over this issue.

I work in my local hospital and since the mandatory use of surgical masks was implemented recently, it has caused an issue for me. Unfortunately, I suffer from inhalation issues and anxiety and it is possible the inhalation issues might be as a result of this - I think this issue began as a result of me having serious job issues 5 years ago and since then, whilst there has been an improvement, things have gone downhill in the last few days.

I have been working in the hospital for two years so I am proud of my efforts to be able to help people but I feel like a failure because I struggle to wear a face mask as it has a negative effect on me. Therefore, until the mandatory use of a face mask was introduced, I was wearing a facial visor.

I am looking for peace of mind because a friend has been a good support to me but what I want to know is, if I wore a visor, what is truly the chances of me catching the virus or me transmitting the virus to another individual, especially if they were wearing a visor or a surgical mask themselves? I have read all information on visors and from what I can see, they seem to provide a good deal of protection from the virus and other articles I have read suggest that as long as PPE is being worn by the other individual, e.g. a surgical mask, since they are mandatory, then the chances of infection, either for me or the other individual, is minimal - so I can't see how I have acted irresponsibly by wearing a visor, even during when the use of masks was mandatory.

I went into work on the day masks became mandatory and there were no issues - it was my understanding that as long as I did not leave the office and went around the hospital, I would be allowed to wear a visor but since then, management didn't realise the circumstances and the office received an email to say we were not allowed to wear a visor in the office so I had no choice but to leave at that point. Since then, I have tried to find an answer to the mask issue that suits all parties but nothing is forthcoming and it is extremely frustrating and causing my personal life to become affected and as I explained, I am not a confident individual at times, due to anxiety and I also suffer from quite bad depression episodes, from time to time, so I do not want another episode, wherever I can avoid it.

To sum up, particularly anyone who has medical insight, have I been fair in wearing a visor, despite government guidance suggesting about masks and what is truly the likelihood, if I was placed in a situation with someone wearing a visor/mask and I was wearing a face shield, that the true chance of infection would be and would it be to the point where all of a sudden, the working environment would be impaired to a dangerous level?

Thank you for your time in reviewing my situation. I just want to approach this situation as fairly as I possibly can.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Hi rtbm1234,

Thank you for posting on the forum and sorry to hear of your anxiety surrounding this issue. Unfortunately as we are not medically trained we are unable to offer any medical advice. Have you tried wearing different types of masks, made from different material or tried a different fit?

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

hundalmarck@gmail.com

by hundalmarck@gmail.com on Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:44 am

Re: Coronavirus

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear.

3 posts