What is Depression like for you?

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

12 posts
Lord Claus

by Lord Claus on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:48 pm

What is Depression like for you?

Hi Im new on here & new to Depression too.

I had a rough idea that I was suffering depression, as I had had similar a while ago, but no where near as bad as what I get now. I was encouraged by my Vicar, my Mum & my Wife to go to the Doctor about it, so I did. My GP asked me what made me think I had depression, and I told her that I can get really down & not just cheesed off. I feel like I cant be bothered to do anything, as I don't have the energy to do it. It feels like I have a Fog on the brain & sometimes that fog is so thick I cant see it lifting, yet eventually it does. My GP confirmed I have depression & has got me on a low dose of Citalopram, which I am finding is helping me.

I find that I get what I call Depressive Attacks, where by I don't know when Im going to slide into it, but it just starts & then I go further & further down. I have had it where by I can hear people talking to me, but I can not respond as its like someone has pressed the 'Mute' button on a remote control & wont press it again for me to be able to talk. I can burst into tears for no reason at all, and stop crying just as suddenly. Sometimes the Depressive Attacks(not an official medical term) can last for hours, or a day or two, before I started on the Happy Pills as I call them, an attack once lasted over a week. I think this was the strongest signal that I needed help. Since being on the happy pills, the worst has been just for a day.

I am determined to take control of it, not let it control me. I can & will beat this, hopefully come off the happy pills, but also know that I can go back to my GP anytime & ask to be put back on them should the need arise. This has sure taught me a lot, and has shown me the stark difference between just being 'Cheesed off' or 'Sad' & Actual Depression. Previously I didn't know the difference, I do now.

Well that's what its like for me, what is it like for you? Thanks for reading this. I hope you will reply.

arihantha76

by arihantha76 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: What is Depression like for you?

Dont take any issue to the mind or heart. It might lead to depression. Infact it is easy to give advices, but facing it actually is very tough. You can talk to friends, relatives when you feel irritated or lonely. You can even chat with some friendly professionals in mindmatters which is an online health service provider.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unauthorised URL removed, check forum rules.

Lord Claus

by Lord Claus on Thu May 08, 2014 2:26 pm

kevinkrieger unfortunately having depression is not as easy as 'stay happy'. Clearly from that statement you have not had depression yourself. Going shopping, cinema or whatever is not going to stop a depressive attack, once they start, they are hard to stop if at all they can be stopped. It takes some doing to get them to lift. There is a stark difference between depression & just being a bit cheesed off with things.

willieTK

by willieTK on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:16 am

I get depressed from time to time. I guess that I just sometimes do not feel happy but at other times I am on top of the world.

Lord Claus

by Lord Claus on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:39 pm

kaufenpreis. Thank you for your concern. I am 38, so definitely not at school. Yes I go to church & have been getting help from the Minister, my GP, and have had group therapy.

I have been doing well lately in my recovery, my friends & family have been good in supporting me.

kaufenpreis, I appreciate your advice, I certainly didn't know about being seen as a charity case. Could well come in handy. Thank you.

Vaileria

by Vaileria on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:46 am

Well depression for me is getting worried, depressed again and again due to various reasons. But I always try to come out of it through my actions like hanging out with friends, listening music, watching favorite movie and cooking. These things definitely help me to stay away from depression.

Lord Claus

by Lord Claus on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Bestellen

I am sorry to hear that your depression affects you in this way. What sort of help are you getting? I hope that you are on some kind of Anti-depressants(Happy Pills). It sounds to me like you may have some kind of deep seated issue that you need to deal with. Im just guessing as Im no counsellor. I hope that you can get through this with some help.

God Bless.

JudithJohnson

by JudithJohnson on Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:41 am

I think you should you should start exercise, it will help you to fight with your depression. Depression can be treated completely with the Anti-depressants, I will suggest you to go out everyday and talk with the doctor.

Lord Claus

by Lord Claus on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Thank You Judith Johnson. I am under a Doctor, and my happy pills are doing very well for me :D in fact I have started to have a lower dose now & things are improving. I have joined a gym, this doesn't help with my depression but does help with my weight. I do go out daily, sometimes this helps, sometimes not. I am pleased to say that I have had great support from my wife & church.

Gregrace

by Gregrace on Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Does this happy tablets make any sideeffects?

12 posts