Sertraline and long term effects

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

6 posts
Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

Re: Sertraline and long term effects

Dear Juneanne,

Many thanks for your post. I hope my advice will be helpful for you.

Sertraline is part of the drug group called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) which means that it acts to increase the level of serotonin (a natural “good mood” chemical) in the brain.

SSRIs are used to treat a number of conditions including moderate to severe clinical depression and are often used in combination with cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). NHS choices also advise this combination treatment of medicines and talking therapy such as CBT.

(CBT can help you understand your thoughts and behaviour and how they affect you. It recognises that past events may have shaped you but concentrates on how you can change the way you think, fell and behave in the present. CBT is available on the NHS so please speak to your GP about using this service if you wish.)

The length of sertraline treatment depends on the individual and their circumstances but it is advised that a course should be a minimum of 6 months. This may be increased to indefinitely in recurrent depression. It is important not to stop sertraline treatment suddenly as this will cause withdrawal symptoms to occur. If your GP advises that you stop the medicine, they will plan a reduction regimen which may be over a period of weeks or months to minimise this risk of withdrawal.

I am not aware of any long term effects of taking sertraline as long as you are being reviewed regularly by your GP for symptom control and having regular blood tests.

I would advise that you speak with your GP about your concerns and perhaps consider the use of CBT as an additional support to your treatment plan.

Take care,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

juneanne

by juneanne on Fri May 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Dear Sarah,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply to my question about the risk associated with the long term use of Sertraline for depression. I'm sorry it has taken me a while to respond. I very much appreciate your comments and am more comfortable with continuing with the drug. I will be seeing my GP in June and will ask her what she thinks about the possibility of CBT.

Yours sincerely,
June Baker. :)

addseo1115

by addseo1115 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:28 am

Glad to see your respond posts.
I am new member here.
thanks for kindness of you.

julieann63

by julieann63 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:49 am

Hi...I have been taking sertraline 75mg for 2-3yrs now...and have found it to help a lot..but...and I don't know if this is related...I am prone to dry patches of skin on both my arms. I have been to the hospital and they seem to think it's not related to my meds and is a form of eczema and gave me a steroid cream to apply.but..it never clears up. My arms HAVE caught the sun over the years, so it might be connected, but otherwise, I have never suffered with dry skin before.I have also had a full hysterectomy and my gall bladder removed. I work in a chemist and wear short sleeved tops and find it quite embarrassing as people look in shock and ask what's happened to my arms.it's too hot to wear long sleeved tops and if I put a bandage on, people still keep asking.

teabag86

by teabag86 on Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:03 pm

I have been on sertraline 200mg daily for about 7 years now. The past 2 years i have had to take omeprazole 20mg aswell as because of intense acid refux constantly, never had it before accept when i was pregnant. My docter said it is probably because ive been on tablets all of my adult life. They also make me sweat prefuseley, feel constantly sick and have vivid nightmares so i never wake up feeling rested. I tried to cut down under docters supervision to see if the nightmares and sweating would.easeany and i ended up trying to take my life. Im afraid ill have to take them for life as i canttry anything else without reducing and stopping sertraline. I have also put on a shed load of weight and frequently get blurred vision, but that could be due to exgaustion.

6 posts