Issues with Melatonin lasting too long

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

3 posts
ajearley

by ajearley on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:19 pm

Issues with Melatonin lasting too long

I've had issues sleeping since I was a small child, and I've had a lot of problems combating it in my adult life. Prescription medications have had extremely adverse and dangerous side effects for me, so they are completely out of the question. Setting up a routine has worked in the past, but I'm not a very habitual person at all, and I always cycle out of it eventually.

I've tried melatonin a few times, and it works. The problem is: it doesn't kick in immediately, and it's effects last 12 hours. Basically, if I set my alarm for sooner than 12 hours since I took it, I will completely sleep through it, almost every time. Which means I have to take it 12 hours before I intend to wake up, and then be awake for another three to four hours.

I recently got a job that runs on 10 hour days, which means that I get up at 5:30am, am at work by 7am, and am home again around 5:30pm. Which means I need to take melatonin immediately when I get home from work. This isn't working for me. Partially, because I often have errands or obligations that keep me from coming home directly after work, and partially because I can't always stay up another 3 or 4 hours after I take it (although, usually, I do,) and I don't want my entire day to be work and sleep. I need a little time to unwind, a little time for me.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with melatonin? If so, was there anything you found that helped, or maybe an alternative method that wasn't prescription medication or creating a bed time routine?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
AJ
Mental Health & Nutrition Ambassador
talkhealth blogger

Geckoella

by Geckoella on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Re: Issues with Melatonin lasting too long

Hi Ajearley,

I feel your pain! I was prescribed Melatonin to help consolidate my sleep - but like you, once I am asleep I am out for the count. Like you, to limit the risk of sleeping through my alarms (I do that anyway :( ), I'd have to take it in the early afternoon and it just isn't feasible. Rather than curbing the amount that I sleep, it seems as though Melatonin promotes sleep.

Is it too much sleep you struggle with? Or just a poor sleep pattern?

Jen
Jen
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

ajearley

by ajearley on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:38 pm

Re: Issues with Melatonin lasting too long

Hi Jen,

It's a poor sleep pattern. I've never been "officially diagnosed," but I've read a lot about people who don't have a normal circadian rhythm, and I believe I'm one of them. I don't get tired at the same time every night, and I have trouble falling asleep on a regular schedule. I work at 7am every morning, and I can go to bed at 10pm every night, but maybe one out of every ten times I'll fall asleep in less that two or three hours, usually when I'm pretty sleep deprived from previous nights. Then on weekends I can easily sleep all day. It's very tough working a regular schedule with these sleep problems, but I definitely don't want to risk not waking up to my alarm, and given that I work ten hour days it's very difficult to get that melatonin in 12 hours prior.

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who's experienced this, for a minute it seemed like it might be all in my head.

Is there anything you've found that works better for you?

AJ
AJ
Mental Health & Nutrition Ambassador
talkhealth blogger

3 posts