Nightmares

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

6 posts
myhealthjg97

by myhealthjg97 on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:00 pm

Nightmares

I am having regular nightmares, violent nightmares. It started with just the same nightmare but now I am getting different sorts. At first I thought it was linked with my PTSD because it was always my trigger in the nightmares but now it's different things. I wake up after having these nightmares an they are fresh in my head and they replay over and over the whole day.
I'm wondering if there could be something wrong with my head.

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:33 am

Re: Nightmares

Dear MyHealthJG97,

Many thanks for your post - I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing such unpleasant symptoms after your traumatic experience.

Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder caused by frightening or distressing events. It affects 1 in 3 people who have a traumatic experience and can occur any time from immediately to years after the event.

You are quite correct, PTSD can result in nightmares and flashbacks from the event. It can also cause feelings of isolation, irritability and guilt. Some patients also experience insomnia and difficulty concentrating.

NHS Choices advise that any patient still experiencing problems after 4 weeks or particularly troublesome symptoms (which would include your nightmares) after the traumatic event should visit their GP.

There are many successful treatment options depending on the severity of symptoms and how soon they occur after the traumatic event.

I would suggest visiting your GP as soon as possible to discuss your treatment options with the aim to hopefully resolve these symptoms successfully.

All the best,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

ajearley

by ajearley on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:11 pm

This happens to me every so often, and I just can't seem to get the nightmare out of my head. Even if I can stop it from re-playing, the residual negative feelings and emotions are still stuck with me and they're so hard to shake.

I've found that the best way to do this is distraction. I try to find something that effectively distracts me and slowly but surely it eases my mind. Things like work or chores don't quite do it. For me, the two best things have been either calling or meeting up with a friend (especially one who understands that I need to be distracted and makes an effort to steer the conversation toward positive things,) or cute kitty videos.

Sounds kind of lame, but it works for me. I just go to Youtube and type in "Cute kittens," or sometimes "cute bunnies" or "cute baby animals," and watch videos until I can't help but be delighted.

I hope this helps!
AJ
Mental Health & Nutrition Ambassador
talkhealth blogger

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks for the advice, it sounds like a really useful tip and one that can hopefully help other members in a similar situation.

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

ajearley

by ajearley on Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:59 pm

You're welcome! I hope it does help make a difference :)
AJ
Mental Health & Nutrition Ambassador
talkhealth blogger

hundalmarck@gmail.com

by hundalmarck@gmail.com on Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:45 am

No its common in some people, but once consult a doctor, this will be fine.

6 posts