Bad Posture

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

10 posts
Just-in-time

by Just-in-time on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am

Bad Posture

Although I don't have serious back pain, my little niggles seem to be getting worse and are extending into my neck and hands. I suspect it may be that I'm sitting at my computer poorly? Does anyone else suffer from bad posture and if so how do I go about correcting it? I'm concerned that if I don't start doing something about it that it might start getting worse.

susie

by susie on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Re: Bad Posture

My back is really bad and I've had to have an MRI scan on it. I have been told that my posture is very bad and that spending hours sitting at a desk incorrectly has not helped it. The physio I've been referred to is not just working with me on strengthening my back but also helping me look at my posture and how I sit. It may be worth visiting a physio or looking on the internet to see if there are any suggestions. I'm sure it's something that lots of people are guilty of!!

Kate99

by Kate99 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm

You need to be really careful. You should only be on a computer if you are at the right height and position. Do you have one of the chairs with adjustable heights and arm and neck supports? If not you really should get one.

David147

by David147 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:15 am

You should take more care of yourself. I guess you must be a young man or women. Cause the old always know how to keep healthy. Before i got sick, i did the same thing as you do now. But ever since that, i follow the doctor's suggestions and stay before 11:00pm and eat less junk food. As for the pain in neck and back, i suffer a lot. I know it's my own problem in sitting posture. But it's hard to change. I need to change and i can. So can you!

matthewspeaksnow

by matthewspeaksnow on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:57 am

I agree with kate99. You first need to get a chair with adjustable height and arm and neck support. Always sit in a position where your eyes are in level with the computer’s screen. Don’t lie down on your chair, period. As for your posture, you need to set it right through habit. There’s no other way. PT or chiro at a sports injury clinic such as AESM can help you with the pain, but it’s best to correct your posture.
Last edited by admin on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed as not permitted - see forum rules

Geckoella

by Geckoella on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:01 pm

Is it a work computer you're struggling with? If so, it might be worth approaching your HR team/line manager about a workstation assessment.

Here's a TalkHealth blog with some useful tips - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... at-them-2/

Jen
Jen
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Sandra_James

by Sandra_James on Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:40 am

Since the type of chair that you use will vary, try to keep the following criteria in mind:

1) Your upper legs should be flat against the bottom of the chair.
2) Your lower legs should form a 90-degree angle at the knees.
3) Your feet should be at a flat 90-degree angle to your lower legs.
4) Your back should be at between 100 and 135 degrees in relation to your legs (if possible).
5) Your arms should be tucked near your sides.
6) Your shoulders and neck should be relaxed.
7) Your eyes should be able to view the screen comfortably without having to stretch, crane, or strain your neck or your eyes.
8) Keep your keyboard close to you

sarahshapiro11375

by sarahshapiro11375 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:03 am

I have this whenever my posture is not proper. Make sure that your angles are correct. 90 degrees. Feet flat on the floor. Be relaxed. :)

asiyahsa

by asiyahsa on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:46 am

There are several common types of postural distortions that may indicate muscle imbalances, which on its own; or more likely when combined with a lack of exercise, stress and even poor diet can be a major contributor to low back pain, sciatica, headaches, shoulder pain etc…
Last edited by talkhealth on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: URL removed as contained advertising from outside sources

scilover

by scilover on Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:11 am

Kate99 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm
You need to be really careful. You should only be on a computer if you are at the right height and position. Do you have one of the chairs with adjustable heights and arm and neck supports? If not you really should get one.
Since I work by the computer all the time, I should get one of what you suggested.

10 posts