Odd Sensations in Head and Ears

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
nikoh123

by nikoh123 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:33 pm

Odd Sensations in Head and Ears

Hi everybody, I'm new here. So for the last month or so I've been dealing with some crazy symptoms.

It all started in late December, early January. I, along with my roommates came down with flu-like symptoms. Cough, fever, diarrhea, sore throat. Eventually we got over it. Or so I thought.

A couple weeks later however, in the last week of January I started developing slight vertigo. The feeling would come and go but I would notice it mostly in closed corridors or whenever I was in the bathroom/taking a shower. Scary but I thought it would run its course.

Well, fast forward a week later after that (early February), I started developing ear fullness, crackling and facial tension to join my vertigo. Every morning I could feel the blood from the back of my head rush to the front of my face. My eyes couldnt stay focused and I felt like I was on a boat. My head felt heavy, like someone tied a belt around it.

Mother-in-law is a nurse and she checked my ear drums and noticed they were swollen. She suggested I take Sudafed and Motrin. It didnt help.

I thought this was bizzare. Eventually it got so bad over that week that it made me feel lightheaded, almost like I was going to pass out.

Thats when I went to urgent care thinking i was going to die. They ran some basic tests on me. Blood sugar was fine. Hemoglobin fine. Blood Pressure, tad bit high but probably due to panic attack. The doctor ran a basic neuro test on me where she made me follow her finger to finger, hands to feet, eye to finger etc. She also checked my eyes and ears and concluded that I must have had a migraine.

A migraine...Ive had migraines before. This did not feel like any migraine.

Well she sent me home with Zofrane, and Sumatriptan. It didnt feel like it was working. So a couple days later I saw a physician.

At this point we are two weeks into the odd symptoms (starting with the vertigo). I explained the situation to him and he ran the same tests as the urgent care doctor (although I felt more comfortable around him cause he took his time to explain the situation).

He concluded ear infection. Even though he saw no outer fluid, based on my symptoms ans story he thought middle/inner ear infection from a head cold that stuck around after the flu in December/January.

He prescribed me ear drops with sulfate, Meclizine for nausea and Ibropufen for headpain.

Well, its been two more weeks and I feel like my situation isnt necessarily improving but altering at times. My ear crackling comes and goes. Facial tension not as much.

But I developed cold sensations in my hands and feet. Also, in certain positions my hands start to throb. Maybe its anxiety? Maybe a nerve issue?

Finally my head now feels like a balloon! and when i stand up it feels like a cinderblock right in the front of my face. So much tension yet almost like a vacuum is sucking my head from up above me. Its causing me stomach pains and my bowels to be watery (maybe due to anxiety, nerves?) I can still hear my ears crackling at times. But its freaking me out.

It feels best when Im laying down, but as soon as I stand up, I get that heavy, heavy feeling in my head and front of face. My stomach tenses up and its like I'm going to vomit if I move too fast. And my neck tenses up.

I have a follow up appointment in April with my physician. Its hard to see him because I have Medi-Cal and my clinic has so many patients. And referrals are just as tough.

Anyways, anyone have any idea what this could be? Labyrintitis? Infection after Flu? Cancer? Anxiety?

My physician assured it wasnt serious but the symptoms feel serious..

I was a fairly healthy boy up to this point. I went to the gym 4 out of 7 days a week.
5'7
175 pounds
Male
Filipino/Mexican
29 yrs old.

On a side note, I took a blood test a week ago but still waiting for a letter back.

These symptoms came on somewhat slow but progressed into something crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:58 pm

Re: Odd Sensations in Head and Ears

Hi nikoh123,

Welcome to the talkhealth pain forum!

Thank you for your post on the frustrating and confusing symptoms that you have been experiencing.

We have noticed that you haven't had any replies yet. Since you posted have you received your blood test results or maybe your symptoms have now run their course. Please do let us know how you are getting on.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts