Cramp in Legs

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

2 posts
Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Re: Cramp in Legs

Hello,

Thank you for your post. I hope I can offer some reassurance to you and your son.

Cramp can be caused by many different things, such as dehydration and after exercise. Often we do not know the cause. The painful spasm sensation is caused by a tightening of the muscle in the calf.

To help prevent cramp, your son could try some calf stretches before bed. The NHS choices website http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/legcrampsu ... tment.aspx has some useful instructions on how to do this.

Ensure he remains well hydrated, especially in the warm temperature. He should aim to drink two litres of water or diluted squash a day.

You can also try firmly massaging your son's leg muscles and joints or apply warmth to his legs, for example with heat packs.

If your son's legs remain painful after the cramp, taking some paracetamol or ibuprofen will help him feel better.

The following additional symptoms can be cause for concern; so if your son is experiencing any of these in conjunction with the cramp, please make an appointment with your GP.
•pain in just one leg
•pain also affecting the arms or back
•pain that occurs every night or continues during the day
•swollen joints
•a high temperature (fever)
•loss of appetite
•weight loss
•reluctance to walk, or a limp with no obvious cause

Certain medicines can cause cramp as a side effect. If your son is taking any medicines, it would be beneficial to visit your local pharmacist who will gladly advise you further.

I hope this advice is of some help.

Kind regards,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts