Come clean please

Please post your hypothyroidism questions here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
ipman

by ipman on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Come clean please

The responses I have seen so far from the experts are tending to confirm my suspicion that the science relating to hypothyroid-related disorders is still in its infancy. The reliance placed on the TSH test is based on a hypothesis that anyone within the reference range cannot possibly have a thyroid-related condition requiring treatment with thyroid medication, especially T3 or Armour (or other NDT). From the standpoint of real science, a hypothesis can no longer stand if it is found to be contradicted. That is the case here. An earlier poster mentioned the existence of over 2000 counterexamples. In real science, a single counterexample is sufficient to overturn a hypothesis. I speak as a non-medical scientist by the way.

So, to enable posters on this forum to get things into proper perspective, perhaps members of the team would come clean and caveat their responses with the acknowledgement that the science involved here is far from settled and that practitioners should be placing more reliance on the 'art' of medicine as mentioned by Professor Lazarus. By 'art' of medicine, I assume Professor Lazarus means interpretation based on signs and symptoms which requires the practitioner to actually examine and listen to the patient (as recommended by Nurse Wright).

ipman

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Re: Come clean please

Thank you for your posts.

Our experts are here to help as many people as possible in answering personal questions about thyroid issues. I'm sure as the forum progresses over the next week, our experts will continue to listen, comment and advise appropriately.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

supressedtsh

by supressedtsh on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:09 pm

and if the advice from the experts differs from what patient's GP's are saying? this will be interesting.

I am hoping that the experts will answer PERSONAL questions rather than quote from BTA and RCP guidelines, we know this, we can read it on their websites.

ipman

by ipman on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:01 pm

talkhealth wrote:Thank you for your posts.

Our experts are here to help as many people as possible in answering personal questions about thyroid issues. I'm sure as the forum progresses over the next week, our experts will continue to listen, comment and advise appropriately.
I understand what you are saying but if the experts are giving advice, the recipients of that advice need to be put in a position to gauge how much credence is to be attached to it. For that reason, I believe it is fair to point out that it is incumbent on anyone making what appears to be an authoritative statement to caveat it as necessary. If an expert makes a comment that he/she believes to be beyond all reasonable challenge, then let them say so - otherwise they really ought to spell out any reservations and point out any alternative schools of thought relevant to the subject. A professional adviser in any field of activity has an obligation to make the recipient of the advice aware of any caveats it may be subject to.

For instance, the team must all surely be aware that the slavish reliance on the TSH test using the UK reference range is controversial. The RCP position statement is controversial (T4 only, use of T3, use of natural thyroid medication). Advice from any expert not prepared to acknowledge that these controversies exist must be viewed with caution. I could go on but the point I am making is that the experts really need to come clean about these and related issues when they give their advice and temper that advice accordingly.

ipman

4 posts