the complication of multi autoimmune disease

Please post your hypothyroidism questions here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
MaryF

by MaryF on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:00 am

the complication of multi autoimmune disease

Having been now diagnosed for Hughes Syndrome, also Sjgroens, Lupus and Psoriatic Arthropathy, in the initial phases nothing showed up on tests, Lupus was suspected 25 years ago due to CLINICAL SYMPTOMS... however only just passed the test. I am really intrigued know why when I have had every clinical symptom of hypothyroidism and poor adrenal function.... I might add suspected by the teaching hospital, however they omitted to do the test, only did the test 5 months after I had in desperation approached the correct independent practitioner, and my symptoms are calming down, ie my weight is going down, despite my increased appetite, my lost body hair is starting to grow back, my hair is better, my limbs feel less like lead and I am not up all night passing water until 5.30 in the morning. Also my basal temperature has increased. There are some very modern medics around for some of my disease who feel that it is not the patients failing the tests but the tests failing the patients, also I have come across groups of doctors in passing who feel that the art of examining patients is in decline and too much emphasis is placed on test results. As a very ill woman doing my best with physio, diet and information sharing, I feel terribly let down by some sections of the medical profession and the NHS as an organisation, however this is balance by meeting some truly enlightened individuals, medically speaking. I just would l like to know if the endocrinologists understand how awful at times the lot of the patient is. This is all said as politely as possible and hoping for a very well informed set of answers. M

Dr Petros Perros

by Dr Petros Perros on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:23 am

Re: the complication of multi autoimmune disease

Sorry to hear that your have not been well. It is also distressing to hear that you feel the NHS has let you down. All I can say, is that if steroids have been recommended to you without a firm diagnosis, I would be concerned. Often steroids can make people feel better, whatever the underlying cause of the symptom is, but if there is no good indication they can do an awful lot of harm.
Dr Petros Perros
Consultant Endcorinologist

2 posts