Advice on thyroid blood results.

Please post your hyperthyroidism questions here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Graves?

by Graves? on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Advice on thyroid blood results.

I was diagnosed with being hyperthyroid after 2 years of being told my TSH was normal. I have since found out that my TSH has been suppressed for about 3 years so I was sub-clinical but the Doctors didn't tell me this until recently. I started to lose a lot of hair in May of 2010 and feel generally unwell and my nails started to lift off the nail beds which I found out was a sign of thyroid disease so I went back to the GP again who did TSH test which came back as 0.02 but they didn't do any further tests just told me I was probably perimenopausal. Finally in May 2011 saw a different Doctor who took me seriously and did a full thryoid test which came back as TSH 0.02 T4 40 T3 16. During this time I have lost about 50% of my hair and my nails have become very brittle. I am now unmedicated and have "normal" blood results for the last 3 months.

My last result was TSH 0.01 T4 13.7 T3 4 but I am still losing hair and my nails are still brittle. My question is will my hair and nails eventually return to normal?

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Advice on thyroid blood results.

Your nails will get better. I am less certain about your hair unfortunately.
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

Graves?

by Graves? on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:41 am

New postby Professor John Lazarus on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:09 pm
Your nails will get better. I am less certain about your hair unfortunately.
Why is that Professor Lazarus? My Doctor told me that once my levels are within normal range for a few months my hair loss would resolve. I do wonder if I am heading towards hypothyroidism because I have been advised by other sufferers that my levels are too low and should be in the upper third of the range. Can this happen to people who have graves disease?

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:16 pm

your hair could resolve. I am just less certain about it. If your blood results are within normal that is satisfactory. Of course if they start to fall over time then action is required
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

4 posts