T3 Toxicosis?

Please post your hyperthyroidism questions here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
celticghirl

by celticghirl on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:06 pm

T3 Toxicosis?

I was diagnosed with the above a few months ago but am very confused now, I am taking 20mg carbimazole and 80mg x3 of propranalol and
getting worse and worse. Stupidly I thought the pills I had been given were the thyroid replacement pills my Mum has taken for years as my
symptoms were underactive and only found out 2 weeks ago these pills are for hyperthyroidism. After looking for info on both BTF and BTA websites I asked my GP (after getting copies of my blood results) why I was on these pills I was told to stay off the www. My Free T3 has never
been tested but there is one Total T3 test which was used for diagnosis but this is in the range?
Total T3 - 2.3 in a range of 0.9-2.4, Free T4 - 20 in a range of 9-22 and TSH of 0.01 no range given, one week later Free T4 - 11 and latest Free T4
9 with TSH remaining the same. My GP told me there was no need to test T3 as endocrinologist never tested it and they were the experts but
the guidelines say it has to be tested with this diagnosis AND has to be high to be diagnosed with this. Please can someone help/advise me as I am
really ill and have been told I now need to see GP again as my liver function has something wrong, I don't drink and I think it must be these pills?
I have refused anti depressants which were offered because they cannot find an endocrine reason for my worsening symptoms such as leaking breasts, massive weight gain, dizziness on standing and lots lots more.

Please help

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Re: T3 Toxicosis?

From the test results (assuming they were taken when you were not on carbimazole) it seems that your thyroid function is normal. Therefore you do not need a further T3 measurement and you do not need any treatment. however it would be advisable to repeat the thyroid function test in ,say ,6 weeks. From your description of other symptoms it is possible you may have other problems but at present thyroid disease seems unlikely.
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

celticghirl

by celticghirl on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: T3 Toxicosis?

Thank you so very very much, I have never questioned any Doctor before in my life but I knew in my heart I should not be taking these pills and
won't be taking anymore. Will my thyroid function go back to what it was before? I have just had results from last week which does include Total
T3, it is now 1 with Free T4 under the range at 7 and TSH still 0.01.

Again THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help.

3 posts