Treatments for over active thyroid

Please post your hyperthyroidism questions here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Jo2012

by Jo2012 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:58 am

Treatments for over active thyroid

Hi, I have had symptoms of an overactive thyroid for a number of years but was only diagnosed 2 and a half years ago when I had thyroid toxicosis. Since then it has been a rollercoaster trying to control my levels. My levels range from extremely high to extremely low after I take Carbimazole. My last results were so low in fact that they didn't believe the results and I had to have them retested as they had never seen results so low. It gets quite severe in that my vision becomes very blurred and I cannot see the left half of anything and I also lose the feeling in my hands and nose. At the moment I have blood tests every 3 months and my GP surgery and hospital have been fantastic. I am not currently taking any medication as my levels are normal but there is no telling when they will change again. If they keep changing on a regular basis I have been advised that I may need surgery to take our my thyroid and then have constant thyroid medication or radio active iodine. That is the reason for my post. I am a little worried about radio active iodine and would be grateful for your views on this treatment.
Kindest regards

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32 am

Re: Treatments for over active thyroid

Firstly, your levels can be readily maintained f you take the so called block and replacement therapy ie thyroxine and carbimazole

About 10,000 patients per year receive radioiodine. It is safe and effective. Most patients require thyroxine therapy afterwards as the treatment for post radioiodine hypothyroidism. If considering pregnancy this cannot be done for 6 months after the dose,
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

galathea

by galathea on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:22 pm

There may well be many many people taking RAI for thyroid problems, but one look at the Thyroid forums (Thyroid Patient Advocacy and Thyroid UK) will quickly show you people who bitterly regret this action. In future years people will be incredulous that we could have ever considered this as a form of treatment.

The main problem appears to be that once the thyroid is no longer working, Levothyroxine is not always a perfect replacement. The acknowledeged failure rate is aroud 15% of patients, but this could be higher...... People who have been overactive appear to have some sort of resistance to T3, so no matter how much of the T4 they manage to convert, it is never enough.

The other problem with RAI is that it can find it's way into breast tissue..... just do a google search of RAI and breast tissue to frighten yourself silly.

Here is an interesting article from the department of Clinical Oncology in a Hong Kong hospital.... which says that RAI is safe, and also lists the possible side effects........ some of these being: Salivary gland swelling with pain, decreased amounts of saliva, odema (water retention) alopecia (hair loss) and depression ..... http://www.hkcr.org/publ/Journal/vol8no ... 20Side.pdf

You are right to be worried about the RAI.... especially if you have Eye problems too....... Controlling it with medication is possible..... if you can, then do.

G

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:13 pm

I am afraid you grossly exaggerate the side effects of this treatment. Yes there are side effects but they are infrequent . There are extensive and comprehensive studies round the world of thousands of patients to justify my opinion. The other treatments for overactive thyroid also have side effects so none is perfect
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

4 posts