Parathyroids low calcium & vitamin D levels?

Please post your questions about lumps and thyroid cancer here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Bonni

by Bonni on Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Parathyroids low calcium & vitamin D levels?

Hello

I hope someone can help me with this questions.

What is the likelyhood that abnormal parathyroid levels are to blame for a steady fall in serum calcium below reference ranges with symptoms of numbness jerking and twitching legs. Should I ask for a Parathyroid blood test from the GP or Endocrinologist to allay any concerns?

What are the appropriate Vitamin D levels for thyroid cancer patients with fluctuating calcium levels and are these supplements prescribed by the NHS? Are bone densiy scans recommended and how often?

Bonni

JudithT

by JudithT on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: Parathyroids low calcium & vitamin D levels?

Hi Bonni,

I hope one of the clinical experts will be able to answer your questions soon but as you may have seen the forum is very busy. In the meantime there is a leaflet about hypoparathyroidism produced by our affiliated organisation Hypoparathyroidism (HPTH) UK in conjunction with the Society For Endocrinology Bone and Mineral Special Interest Group which may help with some of your questions. You can download the leaflet here --> http://hpth.org.uk/resources.php?id=19.

Dr Petros Perros

by Dr Petros Perros on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 am

Re: Parathyroids low calcium & vitamin D levels?

BONNI, I PRESUME YOU HAVE HAD A DIAGNOSIS OF THYROID CANCER AND HAD A TOTLA THYROIDECTOMY. IF THE CALCIUM LEVEL IS LOW THEN YOU MAY HAVE HAD DAMAGE TO YOUR PARATHYROID GLANDS AS A RESULT OF THE OPERATION. IF THE OPERATION IS RECENT, THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT THE PARATHRYOIDS WILL RECOVER WITH TIME. GIVEN THE THE CALCIUM LEVELS ARE LOW AND YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS TH DOCTORS WHO ARE OOKING AFTER YOUR CONDITION WILL BE ABLE TO HELP WITH CALCIUM AND ALFACALCIDOL SUPPLEMENTS. MEASUREMENT OF THE PARATHRYOID HORMONE LEVELS AND VITAMIN D LEVELS MAY ALSO BE HELPFUL IN JUDGING WHETHER THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE OF RECOVERY. IF VITAMIN D SUPPLEMENTS ARE REQUIRED, YES THEY ARE AVAILABLE ON NHS PRESCRIPTIONS. A BONE DENSITY SCAN IS NOT NECESSARY UNLESS THERE IS ANOTHER REASON TO SUSPECT THAT YOU MAY HAVE OSTEOPOROSIS.
Dr Petros Perros
Consultant Endcorinologist

3 posts