Recently diagnosed with a multinodular goiter

Please post your questions about lumps and thyroid cancer here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Holby

by Holby on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Recently diagnosed with a multinodular goiter

I have recently been diagnosed with a multinodular goiter. The Path Lab also requested a further blood test as there was an increase in eosinophils (15.2) to check for allergy, parasite infection prior to a referrral to a haemotologist. The second test was recently completed and the lab said all was clear and no further action. I have my FBC including thyroid test but regrettably the computer at my surgery is unable to provide me with a clear copy - I have the results but not which function they relate to. I am awaiting a consultation at my local hospital. Until this occurs I would be most grateful for some help.

1. I am vegetarian and wonder if I have permitted my iodine levels to drop. I do not use salt and use very little prepackaged food. Is it Ok for me to use an iodine supplement such as kelp?
2. I am in my mid 60's and very fit - I exercise daily including running. I have no side effects from this goiter - occasionally if I over exercise breathing is difficult. Could this be anxiety until I know how the goiter can be managed?
3. Do goiters grow and at what pace. I ask this as I have read that often drugs are prescribed to stop growth and I am loathe to take medication never having done so.
4. Some sites indicate that several foods may make goiters worse. I do not know whether to believe that foods including brassicas and peanuts have this affect. They are an important part of my diet. Is there any scientific basis for such claims.

Thank you in anticipation for your kind assistance.

Holby

by Holby on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Recently diagnosed with a multinodular goiter

Thank you for your reply which was most helpful.

3 posts