Raised Lymph Nodes concern

Please post your questions about lumps and thyroid cancer here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Sarah29

by Sarah29 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Raised Lymph Nodes concern

I had a hemithyroidectomy in June 2010, due to an enlarged nodule on my right thyroid gland. Laboratory results of the thyroid nodule removed found that the majority was made up of Hashimoto’s disease and a small proportion was papillary carcinoma.
My Surgeon stated that all the cancer had been removed so no further treatment was required but follow-ups, including regular ultra sound scans are required. I was also informed that I had further nodules on the remaining thyroid gland, but at this stage regular monitoring was all that was needed to ensure no further change.
Since my surgery I have experienced a number of symptoms including, Extreme fatigue and exhaustion and day/night sweats and have had to go part time at work. I have also felt a number of hard raised lymph nodes in my left side of my neck, which become very painful and the pain travels into my neck causing shooting headaches. I have also recently started to feel raised lymph nodes in my right side of my neck, one of which seems to have grown in size. The Lymph nodes are always raised and never go down. The Lymph nodes never go down and always remain raised.

Please could you advise me as to whether this is a symptom of Hashimoto’s Disease or related to the inflammation on my remaining thyroid gland, as this is beginning a concern to me, especially when the pain is hard to control even with co-codamol tablets?

Your answers would be much appreciated
Thank you
Sarah

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Raised Lymph Nodes concern

You need to do the following
1. review original diagnosis of cancer (size etc)
2 undergo fine needle biopsy of lymph node(s) and remaining thyroid tissue in neck
3. Discuss with surgeon as to whether there is any cancer in remaining tissues and lymph nodes
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

2 posts