New to this site :)

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

9 posts
collegegirl2008

by collegegirl2008 on Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:18 pm

New to this site :)

Hi everyone I am new to this site. I am just wondering if there is anyone out there that is having trouble dealing with the mental part of having psoriasis. I was kind of self-conscious as it was but when I was diagnosed with psoriasis two years ago and found out it wasn't just going to go away I bawled my eyes out. I was not a happy camper knowing that I was going to get the looks I had got in the past week when someone saw one of my spots for the rest of MY LIFE! I had poo for a dermatologist and made me feel as though my psoriasis was chosen by me not that it was hereditary, so I never went back. I am still looking for a new derm. I know I am discouraged about my condition, probably because I can't find anything that works. I mean all of my big spots couldn't be hidden by regular summer clothes, they are above my ankle on one leg, on my they close to my knee cap (same leg), and on my wrist. the others are little but can still be seen. I am discouraged and my friends don't understand because they don't have it so their advice, while sweet is not helpful. Really want to meet friends that understand what it's like.

Anyone out there????

jrheath007

by jrheath007 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:00 pm

Re: New to this site :)

hello

I am new to this site to, been suffering for about 10 years.

where abouts are you, I am in the UK

speak again
Justin

paige_holistictherapies

by paige_holistictherapies on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:51 pm

hi, i know what you mean about being self-conscious, but guess what? if people look and stare who's problem is it? THEIRS NOT YOURS!!! you wear what you want, hold your head up and get some fantastic lines to use when idiots make comments - it won't happen too often, people are too much of a coward to say anything most of the time, just imagine they are looking at you because they are jealous of your fab figure or amazing shoes or your hair or something like that. don't make p a life sentence. there are far more people way way way way way worse off so instead of focusing on one little 'bad' part of you, focus on all the fabulous, wonderful, amazing, gorgeous parts of you :D

Jason

by Jason on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:56 am

Hi,
I am a 41 year old male & have Suffered from Psoriasis for around four years now.I did have some bad Eczema as
a Child but this Stopped around the age of Ten.Some say Eczema as a Child could be a sign of Future Psoriasis maybe.
I have had Outbreaks all over my Body at times & know how hellish it can be.
I have used many different Prescribed Creams some better than others.I have done some Research over the Net like
yourself to try & find some "ANSWERS".Tried to Self Diagnose by Cutting various Foods out of my Diet & have learnt
some good things along the way.
The first thing I would say is you should Consider getting a Allergy test done first as many Skin complaints
are a Reaction to a Allergy you may not be aware you have.Anyhow it's a good thing to know because a Allergy
Reaction on top of Psoriasis is not a good thing at all dealing with the two.
So some Discoveries I have found have helped me Immensely some things we all know already but when its comes to
Psoriasis they are very Important.
"STRESS" I would put right at the Top of the list first as Psoriasis is a STRESS on the Body & your Skin Reacting to
that STRESS.Consider looking at what "STRESSERS" you out the most & doing something that may help with that.
Take more time out if need be for yourself & be kind to yourself.
Do things more that you Enjoy & I Don't mean more "DRUGS" or "ALCOHOL" sounds simple but so true.
I have found myself when Drinking "ALCOHOL" as I like a Drop or two the next thing I know my Psoriasis Inflames even
more badly.Our Bodies are often trying to tell us things I have learnt now to listen more.
"DIET" as we all know is most Important-we are what we eat they say.Now I'm not going to make a list of Dos & Don'ts
we all know that to many Fats and What-nots along with over Indlging just isn't good for us.More Food that is good
for ourselves is all I will say again sounds simple but so true.
Now I want to Share something that has helped myself Immensely I believe.After Searching the net for some time
looking for some "ANSWERS" & things that may help with Psorisias.I came across people talking about the Spice
"TURMERIC" & we all know "GARLIC" & how its working for alot of them.I Decided hey give it a go & I must say
after only a Week on the two together what a Difference Psoriasis almost gone Completely.Now I'm not going to say
it's going to work for you but it has for myself & many others."TURMERIC" Just like "GARLIC" has been used so
much in History to help with many Ailments do your own Research see what you find."TURMERIC" is now been looked at
more closely by Science.Some tests show help with Cells in the Body.Now I don't think you should Overdose on the
Stuff it may not be for you - Myself I used about a Teaspoon of Powdered "TURMERIC" a day on & with my Food along
with around 5 or 6 "GARLIC" Cloves a Day.I must add I also was taking a good Fish Oil 2 tablets a Day at the same
time.I do Hope this Helps some of you out there with your Psoriasis,Remember never give up hope & keep trying.
Regards,
Jason

jasmine

by jasmine on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:01 pm

hey my names jasmine, new to this myself. totally know what you mean about everything. i've had it for just over 3yrs and at this time it certinly feels lik a life sentence!! i think most consultants are just "poos" its some kind of power trip(in ireland anyway). i wud suggest finding a young woman derm, well this is wat i did and the difference it makes to feel lik ur being listend 2 and sympathised with is unreal, instead of coming out feeling lik u want 2 top urself you kno that they at least want to help:) about covering it up have u tried sally hanson airbrush legs its an instant tan thats lik foundation, the only thing is it will dry out ur skin so just make sure u moisturize loads!!! kno wat u mean about friends/family giving advice or "positivity" although sweet (sometimes) it doesn't help because they just don't get it. lik wen having a really bad day i find the worst thing 2 hear is it could b worse or think of the positives in ur life. the best adivice i have been given is to give urself time to mourn the loss of ur health and to get help if your finding it to hard.

Jenny_W

by Jenny_W on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm sort of new to the site, I write the psoriasis blog, but this is my first time in the forums. I've written 4 so far but would love to get suggestions from people on the forums about what sort of things they would find helpful or interesting for me to write about. I'm 28 and had psoriasis my whole life.

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... nnys-blog/
Jenny_W
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

jackieS

by jackieS on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello - having suffered 2 very bad cases of guttae psoriasis and covered top to bottom I can totally understand how distressing the mental side is. To start with I thought I would be able to cope, but when the weather was good I decided to show all in the hope of the sun rays improving my condition - what I was not expecting was a huge number of people looking at my arms and legs in disgust. I couldn't blame them as such - as when you looked at my body the automatic reaction was one of complete shock of seeing something that was quite frankly revolting. However as I said I was quite taken a back by peoples reaction. I would certainly be interested in reading what others have felt and have done to counter act such negativity. Clearly its not just psoriais sufferers who have these problems on a day to day basis...so Jenny would love to read more in your blog.... I have to say also that I was lucky that UV treatment cleared my skin - if it hadn't I think I would really really have struggled psychologically with it...

nesielheum

by nesielheum on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Hello everyone,
I am new to this site but I have had psoriasis for a long (~40 years) time. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis about 4 years ago, and both my skin and joint involvement are under control since starting Stelara in early Jan 2011. I have tried every imaginable treatment through the years and most focused on natural, or should I say quazi natural treatments. Anyhow, I don't want this introduction to drag on and on, so suffice it to say:
Hello my name is Tim and I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
It is a pleasure to meet you all and I look forward to hearing all of your stories, and sharing a few of my own.

Cheers
Tim

jackieS

by jackieS on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:10 pm

Hello Tim - I had a scare about a couple of years ago where my GP thought I might have psoriatic arthritis. I suddenly found that I was waking up in the night with real hip ache everytime I turned over in bed. Infact to start with I thought that I must have gone to bed with my belt on - it felt so tight. Over the next couple of weeks both hips started hurting everytime I went up the stairs and then it started in one of my knees. I went to my GP practise and unfortunately went to the doctor that is terribly negative and gives you the worse prognosis before any tests have been taken. I mentioned that I had looked up my concerns on line and he immediately confirmed it was either psoriatic arthritis or Rheumatoid arthritis. I had blood tests and fortuntely I was clear. I was advised to slow down and give up my running (not that I am a great runner) for a few weeks. Luckily after 4 months all symptons disappeared and touch wood I am still fine. But have to say I really had a scare - and from knowing nothing about the condition I am certainly aware of it now. I do hope that you find some relief for it. Does activity make it worse or better?

9 posts