Difference between Psoriasis and Eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Latrice Sang

by Latrice Sang on Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:16 am

Difference between Psoriasis and Eczema

How would you determine if it is psoriasis or eczema? I just know that both are very itchy.

Aegodrae

by Aegodrae on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Difference between Psoriasis and Eczema

Hi!

From what I recall, it's very hard to differentiate between the two. A biopsy is commonly done to look at the patient's condition.

JustJayne01

by JustJayne01 on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:15 am

Re: Difference between Psoriasis and Eczema

Eczema is not an autoimmune disease; psoriasis is.
Eczema usually begins in childhood and is linked to allergies and asthma; psoriasis can begin at any time, is usually hereditary and flares up at times of stress or lowered immune system.
Eczema varies in severity from slightly dry skin to full on open sores, bleeding and infections, the main parts effected are usually in the back of joints, knees, elbows and ears; psoriasis also varies in severity generally showing as raised, red weals on the skin in any place from the head to the feet, white scaly patches too, which burn and itch.
Both cause a lot of suffering to the person involved though, broken sleep due to itching and pain, infections and hospital stays/visits, bandaging, using emollients, steroid creams and ointments, making sure only natural fabrics are used in clothing and bedding. Both take a lot of hard work to keep on top of.
My daughter suffered from being 4 months old with eczema and still does as a 31 year old; my partner has psoriasis and when it flares up he is in agony, has been in hospital a few times with bad flare ups and had cellulitis a couple of times. Having something like eczema or psoriasis is truly life altering.

3 posts