Home treatments for psoriasis

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
anon_111

by anon_111 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Home treatments for psoriasis

I am 19 and have had psoriasis since May last year. It has been horrible as I am at an age where I want to wear shorts and short dresses but for nearly a year now I haven't been able to. I have been prescribed 8 different steroid creams but they never fully got rid of it and some were incredible thick and greasy and just felt horrid! In summer it went as I went on many holidays however sun does not seem to be the best solution when you live in England!

I have guttate psoriasis and therefore had my tonsils taken out at Christmas- if anyone has this form of psoriasis I really recommend it! It was the worst week I have ever experienced but well worth it. As well as this operation I am now in the process of light treatment which is getting rid of it however I have also been using other methods and thought I would share them here as my psoriasis has practically disappeared!

Coconut oil- I cover my body in this once a day and I have not had any 'plaques' since I have used it (I bought this from holland and barretts, though it was quite expensive- £15 for a tub but it was buy one get one free to worth it!) I also use the coconut oil as a substitute for olive oil in cooking.
Vitamin D and Fish oil tablets- These may not be having much of an affect but I have also been taking these for around a month now.

Another thing that I read online is that dead sea salts are incredibly good for psoriasis (bought a 1kg bag from amazon for £5) and they will be arriving tomorrow so will see what affect they have. You can use them as a bath salt however as I am at university I am unable to do that and so I am going to soak a bandage in warm water and the salt and wrap it round my affected areas and also combine it with the coconut oil to make an exfoliating scrub! They have had very good reviews and seem to be very popular with psoriasis sufferers.

This may not be of much help but I know that when I looked on forums and found out about all of these different remedies I was incredibly keen to try them and now that my psoriasis is barely visible I thought it would be a nice idea to post with suggestions,

Good luck!

JeniferVasquez

by JeniferVasquez on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:36 am

Re: Home treatments for psoriasis

I have psoriasis which shows up the worst 0n my shins. I have used prescribed steroids and many other creams to help calm the redness, but nothing has worked well. I thought I would give foderma serum a try, although I was skeptical. I have applied it once a day for over a month and only used half a jar. I was amazed that after as little as two weeks the scaley blotches on my shins were barely visable. I know it won't cure my psoriasis, but it makes it more manageable.

jamesestarr@yahoo.com

by jamesestarr@yahoo.com on Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:03 am

Re: Home treatments for psoriasis

Had psoriasis mostly terrible on my legs. Went thru the UV blue light therapy and had good success. Dermatologist prescribed Taclonex for maintenance in pop up areas. I had a rash in a delicate area and treated it with old fashioned Desitin. May sound crazy but had a bit left on my fingers and applied to a flare up area on my hip. Great results! May win to try it.

3 posts