DIET

If you have any questions about thyroid issues that don't fall into any of the forum categories above, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

9 posts
fennel

by fennel on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:34 pm

DIET

Why does the NHS not advise people to change their diet, as many hypothyroid patients including myself respond very positively to a low carb diet. I have reduced my thiroyd from 2 and half grains to half a grain by not eating sugar and grain. It is the most important part of keeping well for me. Also the deficiency of several minerals and vitamins can affect the conversion of T4 to T3, and this is never checked on or treated. A gluten free diet is very helpful for many, why is it not recommended ?

Carolyn4506

by Carolyn4506 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: DIET

Couldn't agree more - and that especially if you have Hashimoto's, to give up gluten... ANY help/information would be good..!

MD75

by MD75 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:31 pm

I couldn't agree more! My Dr told me giving up gluten wouldn't make any difference as I'd tested negative for coeliac although the result was in fact inconclusive. Why don't Drs know that gluten mimics the molecular strucure of thyroid tissue. If you ingest gluten, it can cause a large auto-immune reaction. My antibodies went from over 1000 to under 50 and my symptoms aren't as severe.

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:19 pm

There is no evidence that a dietary change is benficial in patients with hashimoto's disease. the one exception to this is if the patient has associated coeliac disease. Then , of course, it is necessary to stick to a gluten free diet
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

galathea

by galathea on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Well there may be no evidence but surely the three posters on this subject are not imagining it? As there is 'no evdence' does it make the experience of these people invalid?

I would suggest that they are offering anecdotal evidence. If enough people have anecdotal evidence, it must surely show that the researchers are not looking in the correct place.

Besides, I tried for years and years to lose weight, via healthy eating, a personal trainer and boxing. At the end of 20 years of levothothyroxine 'treatment' I was feeling terrible and 5 stones over weight. I cut out all gluten and carbohydrates a few months ago and so far have lost 2 stones.

So now there are 4 of us who have anecdotal evidence.

G

ipman

by ipman on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:31 pm

Re: DIET - would Prof Lazarus elaborate please

Professor John Lazarus wrote:There is no evidence that a dietary change is benficial in patients with hashimoto's disease. the one exception to this is if the patient has associated coeliac disease. Then , of course, it is necessary to stick to a gluten free diet
When you say "no evidence" do you mean that the matter has been fully investigated with no benefit shown or do you mean that the matter has not been investigated (at all or incompletely) in which case there will be no evidence. If it is the latter, then would it not be better to say to the original poster that sticking to the low carb diet sounds a good idea if it means that you are able to lower your level of medication so significantly. I have an interest in this in that my wife has Hashimoto's disease and might consider trying a low carb diet if your reference to "no evidence" really means lack of research work to draw a conclusion one way or the other. As she is currently TSH suppressed, any way of bringing about a reduction in her medication would be worth trying if there is some prospect of a positive outcome. Elaboration of your original comment would therefore be very much appreciated.

ipman

fennel

by fennel on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:22 pm

I had a test for celiac disease and it did not come up positive. The doctor that I saw told me to cut out the wheat if it made me feel unwell which I did, and it was very helpful. During the run up to the test I was eating 4 slices of bread a day in order to give the test a good chance of showing up the problem if it should be celiac disease, which it didn't, but it certainly made me feel poorly. Either the test is not picking up every patient with celiac disease or there is some other allergen at work that is not being tested for. I have read that there are 4 different things in gluten that could cause illness in autoimmune patients, and only one is applicable to celiac disease. I am sure there is some research somewhere to do with this but cannot spare the time to search for it again today, sorry. (I am on holiday in Oman!)

ignored

by ignored on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:10 pm

After years and years of trying to work thing out I too have discovered that very low carb is the best diet to be on in terms of health and well being. Despite years of serious dieting and very serious exercise my body just continues to swell and my muscle tone is virtually non - existant (odd for someone who worked out with hefty weights every other day for 20 odd years eh) - however, according to all the doctors I have tried to discuss this with it is perfectly normal!

My normal regime all last year was walking/jogging on my treadmill for 5 miles every day (at the moment I can't do this as since giving up meds execise is causing me intolerable pain - even just walking hurts) and of course by keeping completely carbohydrate free I found (before giving up meds) I could lose a little weight - that of course has stopped with the withdrawal of thyroid medication.

I am trying to keep my weight stable but even just one low carb meal a day isn't doing it at the moment - however, I am much healthier on low carb normally, I would have to say though that it is a very big commitment and also very expensive, you certainly don't live to eat but eat to live on this diet and i wouldn't recommend it for anyone who doesn't need to do it. It does, however, seem to be part of the solution for people with thyroid issues and I wonder why this is?

The other aspect that may be of interest to some people is the fact that I suffered from dreadful bowel problems for years, to the point where it was totally disabling and I couldn't go out. I was diagnosed with irritable bowel which did not respond to any treatment nor dietary changes. I tried really sensible eating - low fat, organic etc, I tried gluten free, I tried the anti-candida diet - all without success. I then discovered that I have an intolerance to lactose, I cut out all lactose and this has made a huge difference to me - why didn't the doctors see this? I had classic symptoms I no longer have constant, disabling bowel problems, I don't know if this will help others but you've got nothing to loose by giving lactose free a go. If my story is anything to go by you may have a lot to gain.

Dr David Kerbel

by Dr David Kerbel on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:30 pm

Weight control is often a sensitive and difficult topic to deal with as a GP.
Many of us are "traditionally built" and do not take kindly to being reminded of this every time one sees a doctor.
Thyroid hormone does affect weight in complex ways and it can be impossible to lose weight until TFTs are normalised (TSH<2).
Overtreatment can cause weight loss.
I have had unfortunate reports that some GPs believe "all women with hypothyroidism want to increase their levothyroxine to lose weight".
Of cause this hgross overexageration is outrageous and unfair. Patients can get left feeling angry and unsupported. (but GPs & patients may not acknowledge this prejudice and it can lead to conflict & miscommunication.)
Regular TFTs and gentle manipulation of levothyroxine to properly suppress TSH can help.
I find it helpful to discuss symptoms of both hypo & hyperthyroidism ie. over treatment eg. palpitations,anxiety, tremor,weightloss so patients can come in early and we can re-check TFTs at an early stage.
Dr David Kerbel
GP & GP representative for the British Thyroid Foundation

9 posts