Do we know all the thyroid antibodies?

If you have any questions about thyroid issues that don't fall into any of the forum categories above, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Jeffina

by Jeffina on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Do we know all the thyroid antibodies?

Like with other diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis could there be a possibility that some people have autoimmune thyroid disease but it's not showing in their blood test?

Do doctors ever consider that patients could be sero negative? What would the best course of action be to take in this case, a thyroid uptake scan or ultrasound?

Do thyroid antibodies always show up straight away in the disease process - I'm wondering if there could be other unknown antibodies having an effect and preventing the thyroid from working correctly years before TPOab, TGab or Graves antibodies show up as many people with thyroid problems state they had symptoms gradually building up for a number of years before diagnosis.

Thanks.

KatieTattie

by KatieTattie on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Re: Do we know all the thyroid antibodies?

Good point. My Endo is insisting I do not have auto immune thyroid as antibodies aren't high enough. What has caused all my thyroid problems then? He claims it must be thyroiditis yet I did not have any viral illness when this began. If it was viral thyroiditis I'd love to know what virus has the power to do this to me! I have only had my anybodies checked once at the beginning of my problems and they came back at 12 (0-36) I wonder if they checked again they would be higher.

I am living in limbo at the moment and don't have a clue what I'm dealing with. I'm constantly looking for answers as to why this is happening to me: adrenals (which are iffy) gluten, candidis, food allergies, mold, pathogens, you name it I've looked into it! Either my endo doesn't feel the need to spend the time with me and answer my questions or he has no clue himself!

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:15 pm

You can have Hashimoto's disease and find no antibodies in the blood stream. It is not common but can occur
Thyroid antibodies have been known for over 50 years and the most clinically relevant one is TPO antibody
The antibodies found in Graves' disease are also clearly known and patients with this usually have them in the blood
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

Jeffina

by Jeffina on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Should you ever have any antibodies to the thyroid?

I've always wondered why there is a reference range for this - surely 'some' is too many?

I know that somes endocrinologists say low antibodies don't mean anything and wait until they are in the 1,000s before doing anything - why is this?

KatieTattie

by KatieTattie on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Jeffina you are reading my mind! I would also like to know this.

5 posts