Confused about Thyroid Antibodies

If you have any questions about thyroid issues that don't fall into any of the forum categories above, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Surburbian

by Surburbian on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:05 pm

Confused about Thyroid Antibodies

Dear Doctors
I have been told I have Hashimotos since 93. However sometimes I have raised antibodies and sometimes I do not.
Question 1: Why is it that sometimes the antibodies are raised and yet on other times they are in the normal range?
From what I understand about Hashimotos the antibodies can cause destruction of the Thyroid gland.
Question 2: If you are on replacement thyroxin (T4) how do you know at what stage this destruction is at and what effects does this have on your antibodies?
Question 3: When you are in the normal range for antibodies, does this mean you are technically seronegative?
I ask this because I have seronegative APS and measure consistently negative for other rheumatoid conditions despite having symptoms. We all know the connection and links between thyroid antibodies and these conditions.
Question 4: Is it possible that my Thyroid antibodies have been the trigger for the development of my other autoimmune diseases? I have APS, Sjogrens, Cardiac Syndrome X and FM.
Question 5: Is there a possibility that there could be a yet to be an undiscovered antibody that may link all these conditions and explain the seronegative results for people like me?
Thank you in anticipation of a response. :)

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Confused about Thyroid Antibodies

1. Antibody levels do fluctuate and usually decline with age. However sometimes the immune system can be activated by unknown causes and ab levels increase
The antibodies are a marker for possible thyroid destruction. There are other immune processess in the thyroid of people with hashimoto's that cause detruction
2. No you don't know exactly. Ultrasouns of the thyroid can help but it is not necessary to know exactly. There is not a preceise correlation between antibodies and destruction.
3. Yes if you are below the particular assay range then you do not have antibodiesmeasured by that tests.
4. No your thyroid antibodies are not the trigger for other autoimmune diseases although if you have autoimmune throid disease you have an increased risk of other autoimmune diseases
5 Anything is possible but I think this is unlikely. however there are other advances in immunology which help to explain the occurrence of more than 1 autoimmune disease.
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

Surburbian

by Surburbian on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Re: Confused about Thyroid Antibodies

Thank You very much for this response . Very helpful!

3 posts