Pretibial myxedema

If you have any questions about thyroid issues that don't fall into any of the forum categories above, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
chica

by chica on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 am

Pretibial myxedema

I am looking for more information on Pretibial myxedema. I have graves autoimmune disease.. been on propylthiouracil for nearly a year, bloods been normal for a while.. slightly hypo if anything.. but have now grown my very own Pretibial myxedema on left inside shin. Apart form being given steroid cream to put on it.. can anyone tell me.. how long may i have this?.. what tips to do/eat /not eat to make it go away? it is sore ..it aches ..it is ugly and i dont want any more suprises.... any one got these even though no sign of bulging eyes or with normal bloods? And how has anyone made them go?
Thanks

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Re: Pretibial myxedema

Pretibial myxoedema is a sign of Graves' disease (ie autoimmune hyperthyroidism). It is not common (perhaps 5% of patients). It is difficult to treat but steroid cream and sometimes occlusive steroid dressings are used.
It may never go away completely but should reduce in size considerably over time. Diet and other drugs will make no difference to it.
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

chica

by chica on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: Pretibial myxedema

thank you for the info ... ah well..suppose i better name it and give it space in my wardrobe by the sounds of it.... does this mean i will grow more?? or is there evidence to show that it is possible just to have the one? Forever hopeful that i don't cultivate more! No sign as of yet..this one started in November and almost tripled in size over christmas!

3 posts