Thyroid antibodies and multinodular goitre

If you have any questions about thyroid issues that don't fall into any of the forum categories above, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
snowy

by snowy on Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Thyroid antibodies and multinodular goitre

Dear Doctors,
I have a dignoses, of fybromyalgia, costo, I B S, acid reflux, Peri menapausal to name a few. However I recently obtained private blood test and my thyrogobulin antibody 198.1 1u/ ml o~ 115 ( negative), does that mean my thyrogobulin antibody is positive? my T S H is high and T 4 near the top of the range and a multinodular goitre. I am concerened as I feel like crap so to speak, I havent logged these results with my own G.P at this juncture but intend to do so. It seem that I have been to see nearly every consultant and having different opinions, with respect to the proffesssionals no body is conecting thyroid to attribute to all these unexplained issues as my T S H has always been in the normal range and yet I still have all these symptons.

Futher more ,I feel I am wasting my time and N H S budget, by having test, scans, that show normal results, I am pleased that my test have come back normal but this leaves me frustrated and concerned about my health, especially when there is no real cause to be found.

what do you suggest, are the results at the top of this email an indication of how I am feeling ? I have had neck pains for nearly a year and stabbing pains in my legs. I do feel I have also adrenal problems, what other test would you suggest I could ask my G.P.?

can T S H blood test be a accurate indication to thyroid issues ?

:D thanks hope you can shed some lite on these important questions.
snowy

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: Thyroid antibodies and multinodular goitre

Yes your thyroglobulin antibody test is positive but only weakly so.It may indicate autoimmunity but the tPO antibody should be done as well. Your thyroid tests are a bit strange as your TSH is high and T4 also near the top end. I would suggest you have a T3 test done. Sometimes a lump in the multinodular goitre can produce too much thyroid hormone on its own. You should also have a fine needle biopsy of the goitre for reassurance. You also need to have a repeat TSH as this is the first high one you have had.
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

snowy

by snowy on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Thyroid antibodies and multinodular goitre

Dear Dotor, I Have forwarded my results on to you, maybe I had read my results wrong.
Thanks for your kind responce. I have had the T P A included in these test results. What is your conclusion?

ENDOCRINOLOGY
THYROID PROFILE 2
TOTAL THYROXINE(T4) 154 nmol/L 59 - 154
THYROID STIMULATING HORMONE 3.27 mIU/L 0.27 - 4.2
FREE THYROXINE 21.1 pmol/l 12.0 - 22.0
FREE T3 5.3 pmol/L 3.1 - 6.8
IMMUNOLOGY
THYROID ANTIBODIES
Thyroglobulin Antibody *198.1 IU/mL 0-115(Negative)
Method used for Anti-Tg: Roche Modular
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies 23.6 IU/mL <34 (Negative.

kindest
snowie

3 posts