HIGH TPO ANTIBODIES

This is the forum to discuss thyroid issues when talking with doctors.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
lilypuss

by lilypuss on Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 pm

HIGH TPO ANTIBODIES

Many thanks for your previous reply and would be most grateful for further advice and clarification as very worried about long term health and now becoming desperate for solutions and answers. For many years experienced episodes of throat problems, breathlessness, cough, coldness and fatigue also dry mouth, hair and eye problems. Between episodes I was very active and a serious walker. Symptoms increased over the past two years and the last 12 months has been dreadful with symptoms including overwhelming fatigue, constant palpitations, inflamed swollen throat and cough, unexplained weight loss, hair loss, very low body temperature average 35 deg dropping to 34, left side facial numbness and eye twitching, swollen irritated eyes and visual disturbances, muscle twitches, digestive problems, developed brown patches and blue marks on face and a lumpy non itchy rash down both sides of neck, dizziness, weakness, unable to concentrate, neuropathy also minor heart valve damage identified 12 months ago requires monitoring. Recently diagnosed with thyroiditis, borderline hyperthyroid and high TPO antibodies. Became unable to exercise, walking with friends and social life out of the question and unable to work and as I live alone now become isolated which is also creating anxiety and depression. TSH and FT4 now normal but very symptomatic and not prescribed any treatment. Peripheral neuropathy progressing but tests for other auto-immune disorders are negative and Neurology suggested a link with thyroid disorder but Endocrinology said this was not their department.

Systemic symptoms which came simultaneously and eased off simultaneously although fatigue and some other symptoms persisted and in the absence of any explanations despite numerous visits to doctors and hospitals I consider my symptoms are definitely connected with high TPO antibodies. I would be most grateful if you could clarify:-

Would TSH and FT4 blood test results alone indicate that treatment is not required despite high TPO antibodies, signs and severe symptoms?

Could TSH and T4 blood results be normal but T4 not converting and reaching cells therefore causing these symptoms?

In view of positive antibody result and severe symptoms would any other blood tests be conducted in addition to TSH and FT4?

Could Cortisol and Adrenal problems cause these symptoms and would a normal blood test be sufficient to ascertain cortisol levels?

Would an endocrinologist conduct any physical medical examinations ?

Would positive TPO antibodies and thyroiditis plus a combination of hyper and hypo thyroid symptoms indicate that I have Hashimotos?

Inflamed swollen throat and cough – Is this a symptom of Thyroiditis?

Would a throat scan normally be arranged for a patient with chronic inflamed swollen throat, cough and positive antibodies?

Can thyroid cancers and nodules be diagnosed from a blood test result alone?

Many Thanks.

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: HIGH TPO ANTIBODIES

At present you have high thyroid antibodies but normal thyroid function. This is consistent with Hashimoto's disease. You need to have thyroid function measured regularly to see whether your thyroid is going to be damaged and progress to hypothyroism. This may take a variable length of time (from months to years) or may never occur at all.
Your current symptoms are really almost certainly nothing to do with thyroid disease. You could see an endocrinologist who can check for aother associated autoimmune diseases and / a general physiscain for assessment of your symptoms and further management.
Thyroid cancer is not diagnosed with a blood test although blood tests are required for follow up of a patient with thyroid cancer.
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

2 posts