very low antibodies: question I can't find an answer to

This is the forum to discuss thyroid issues when talking with doctors.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
nobodysdriving

by nobodysdriving on Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:44 pm

very low antibodies: question I can't find an answer to

Could you kindly answer my question, I can't seem to find an answer to by 'searching online'

I have recently been diagnosed hypothyroid and my thyroid antibodies level was 'very low' at only 2 (range was from 0 to 150)

I was started on thyroxine just 16 days ago (I am 42yrs old no other medical conditions BMI of 30), started on 50mcg.

My question is:

now that antibodies are present will they continue to rise now that I have been started on thyroxine or will they stay low because I have started treatment?

should they be monitored yearly in future?

Many thanks in advance.

Dr David Kerbel

by Dr David Kerbel on Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: very low antibodies: question I can't find an answer to

You dont have auto-immune thyroiditis (Hashimotos).
You just need to treat your Hypothyroidism - there is no point repeating or monitoring thyroid antibodies.
You should ask your doctor to increase your thyroxine to 100mcg immediate (provided you dont have angina, in which case should increase to 100mcg in 2w). (You need to "block" your bodies own supply of thyroxine (by giving enough T4) and "replace" it completely otherwise your next blood tests will be meaningless & confusing.)
You may well need to increase your thyroxine further based on 3 monthly blood tests (which you must make sure you have) until TSH stabilises & is under 2. You may well need around 150mcg levothyroxine.
You will need treatment for life.
The good news is that you are now eligible for free prescriptions! (ask your GP to complete excemption form)
Dr David Kerbel
GP & GP representative for the British Thyroid Foundation

2 posts