Family history Goitre Hasimotos Hyperactive Thyroid Cancer

This is the forum to discuss thyroid issues when talking with doctors.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Bonni

by Bonni on Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Family history Goitre Hasimotos Hyperactive Thyroid Cancer

Hello

My husband had an overactive thyroid was treated with RAI but unfortunately went on to develop thyroid eye disease. His sight was compromised and as steriods failed to reduce the swelling around his optic nerve emergency surgery saved his sight. His mother suffered an overactive thyroid and has RAI.

In my family four generations all had thryoid disease (goitre hashimotos overactive and thyroid cancer)

My question is what tests and guidelines are available for families such as ours? Should GPs test more than the normal TFT's on such families? Also what is the latest with the young adolescent girls in the UK report with Iodine deficiency?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you.

Dr Petros Perros

by Dr Petros Perros on Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: Family history Goitre Hasimotos Hyperactive Thyroid Canc

Hello Bonni. What you are asking is screening people who have a strong family history for thyroid disease. So, this applies to people who are well and have not symptoms. If that is the case (ie not symptoms) there is no evidence that screening is helpful. The full guidance can be found in: http://www.british-thyroid-association. ... y_2006.pdf If screening is deemed to be appropriate then the serum TSH is the best starting tool.

The finding of iodine insufficiency in adolescent girls has led the group who initiated the research to conclude that more data were necessary for a wider section of the population, to inform public health leaders on whether specific action is necessary and what that should be. The Department of Health are aware of the findings.

best wishes
Dr Petros Perros
Consultant Endcorinologist

2 posts