Raw fruit

If you think you suffer with a food intolerance, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
AliT

by AliT on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Raw fruit

Can anyone tell me why I react badly to raw fruit (apples, pears, apricots, peaches, cherries, plums) but can eat all these fruits cooked, I can even eat most tinned fruit? If I eat them raw it gives me a very uncomfortable 'fluffy throat'!
Alex
(I can eat grapes, bananas and oranges without a problem?)

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Raw fruit

this sounds very much like Oral Allergy syndrome', where you have a pollen allergy and your immune system is getting confused as the protein in the fruit you mention look a lot like the pollen (usually birch) you are allergic to. There is a good article on this on Wikipedia. Fortunately, reactions are usually mild and as you say cooking or processing the fruit resolves the problem.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Raw fruit

Dear AliT,

You have a classic example of oral allergy syndrome (OAS) to birch tree pollen cross-reactive fruits (stoned fruits and apples).

The allergy antibodies in your blood which respond to birch pollen are cross-reacting with proteins in these raw fruits. Thank-fully these proteins are broken down if the fruit is heated or processed which is why you can tolerate these kinds of fruits when processed. Usually OAS causes only mild symptoms in the mouth and throat; such as an itchy scratchy feeling but doe snot lead to more serious reactions.

The symptoms may be worse in the spring time when birch pollen levels are high. you may or may not suffer from hay-fever in the spring but will have positive allergy tests to birch pollen.

Unfortunately there is no treatment for this except for antihistamines you could take if you experience this acutely. There is little evidence that desentisation to birch pollen helps with OAS.

Best wishes,

Dr Helen Brough
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

3 posts