everything i eat i always have a reaction!

If you think you suffer with a food intolerance, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

8 posts
katiejane86

by katiejane86 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 pm

everything i eat i always have a reaction!

Hi, I did a earlier post but can't see where it went. Im 25 years old and since the age of 10 I have had IBS. I have always suffered pretty bad from it but from about the age of 20 it started to get much worse I now cant eat anything without being in pain, sick, bloating or having a upset stomach. I cant stress enough how bad the pain is and how much it has impacted on my daily life. I have been for numerous blood tests been tested for wheat and gluten intolerance, crohn's disease and even had a Gastroscopy and colonoscopy. I have lost count of the doctors iv seen and been sent to see a dietitian and gastroenterologist who also had no answers. I have even had hypnotherapy on the NHS which was offered to me. The doctors which I have seen have been amazing and did everything they could but after a while there was no more tests they could offer me and had no answers so the only diagnoses I have been given is Chronic IBS. I have tried many times to cut out food which I think could be making me ill but EVERYTHING I eat gives me some sort or reaction. I still see the gastronenteroligist every 6 months so he can keep a eye on me but nothing ever changes. A big part of me has expected never to get to the bottom of it but if you have any advice or answers I would be most grateful.

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Re: everything i eat i always have a reaction!

not sure what i could possibly add but wondered if you have come across the FODMAP diet, which is geenrating some interest amongst IBS sufferers. One of the other pannellists here (Dr Stephen Till) has a specific interest in this area so may be able to comment further.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

katiejane86

by katiejane86 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:01 pm

I will have a look at that diet thank you. I have not come across that one before but have tried many other diets recommended by IBS sufferers. Do I need to post this question again to get a response from Dr Stephen Till or will he respond on here?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi,

No you will not need to post your question again Dr Till will be able to respond to this post.

Thanks
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Dr Stephen Till

by Dr Stephen Till on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 am

Food allergies tend not be a cause of IBS or IBS-like symptoms. However, the basis of the Low FODMAP diet is that some individuals seem to be less tolerant of certain types of carbohydrates cotained in some foods (e.g. certain grains, dairy products, fruits and vegetables). It may be possible to identify and exlcude these under the supervision of a dietitian who is trained in this area. It seems that the way in which these carbohydrates are processed in the gut in certain IBS sufferers can make their symptoms worse. This is a relatively new treatment and the success rates seem fairly high, but again, this is only when the diet is 'administered' under the guidance and supervision of a trained dietitian.
Dr Stephen Till
Consultant in Adult Allergy, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

katiejane86

by katiejane86 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Thank you for your reply, I was going to start the FODMAP diet today but would you recommend that I speak to my doctor and get a referral to a dietitian again? I downloaded information last night on the low FODMAP foods that I should eat in the diet and the ones that I should exclude along with recipes. will there be any harm in starting it now by myself until I see my doctor?

Doctors in the past have always been confused by my symptoms saying that some come across as allergies and others as IBS. none of them are mild symptoms they are always pretty extreme especially with the pain and sickness. on occasions the pain has caused me to collapse and iv have ended up on hospital on a drip as I cant keep fluids down. the dietitian and gastroenterologist have both said to me its one of the worse cases they have ever seen of how sensitive someone's stomach is to food. the last time I seen the gastroenterologist he said that he thinks my stomach is just very over sensitive. Four years ago I also got diagnosed with M.E., Fibromalgia and under active thyroid but have been told that even though Fibro can be linked to IBS I shouldn't be getting this extreme. Im seeing my doctor this Friday is there any more tests you could recommend that I could get done just incase it could be a underlying allergy?

Dr Stephen Till

by Dr Stephen Till on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 pm

Yes, I would seek a referral to a dietitian with expertise in low FODMAP diets. I would check they do this before getting referred or it may waste your time.
Regarding allergies: if you feel that this may be a contributor, it would be best to discuss with someone with expertise in this area (i.e.an allergist!) who can advise on whether allergy tests might be helpful (not always the case). The problem with these tests are that there are pitfalls in intrepretation and from time to time patients are incorrectly labelled as being 'allergic'. Sometimes, the allergist has an important role in excluding allergy as a cause of symptoms - this can be beneficial for patients too!
Dr Stephen Till
Consultant in Adult Allergy, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

katiejane86

by katiejane86 on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm

thank you so much for taking your time to reply to me. I will speak to my doctor on Friday about the information you have given me :)

8 posts