Food Intolerance Test

If you think you suffer with a food intolerance, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

15 posts
Kerri_P

by Kerri_P on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Food Intolerance Test

Hi, I wanted your opinion on a test I paid to have as I gave up with my doctors.

For about 7 yrs (since I had my boy) I started experiencing bad tummy cramps, alternate constipation/diarhea, skin rash and dry skin patches, disturbed sleep, headaches and hot sweats. I had numerous visits to the doctors and went from being told I was depressed, stressed, hypochondriac, post natal depression to IBS. I was convinced in myself that it was food related as pre pregnancy I had always been fine with anything I ate. They did numerous blood tests which came back with anaemia, b12 deficiency, iron deficiency and vit D deficiency but never gave me anything or any advice as to what to do.

So after being so fed up with getting nowhere from docs I looked online and came across a website calle testyourintolerance.com. I had to pay £50 (which I didn't care about as was so fed up), and you send a sample of your hair away for analysis. They have since sent me a 10 page report back detailing everything I am intolerant to. The 2 main ones being Cow's Milk and Wheat. Since cutting out these 2 items I have seen a major improvement. Is it a coincidence or could this test be accurate as have read a lot of different reviews about it?

And also, from the symptoms I explained above should it have been picked up earlier by the doctors?

katiejane86

by katiejane86 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:35 pm

Re: Food Intolerance Test

I actually know someone who was in very similar circumstances as yourself. she paid for 3 tests that were the exact same as yours and each one came back completely different. I have read alot about these myself and from and my personal opinion as these are nothing but a scam. there have even been undercover programs which I have seen which expose the truth about them and how one lady did the hair test and sent if off to 10 different companies and each result was different. there is no regulations in place with these companies so they can get away with it.

katiejane86

by katiejane86 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:38 pm

would like to say also though iam happy for you if you have had relief from your symptoms I know how difficult it can be x

Kerri_P

by Kerri_P on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:46 pm

I was sceptical about doing it but also curious as to what it said as I did have a suspicion bread was causing it. So when it said that it was wheat it kind of made sense. I have seen both negative and positive things reported about these tests but was so down from lack of support from my doctor I felt I had nowhere to turn. I asked to be referred to the hospital but he refused point blank, so what are we supposed to do!!! I have felt very let down by my doctors and it has kind of made me feel like I can't go to them when I am ill for fear they will say it's in my head.

It probably is a massive coincidence with having this test to me cutting the things out, but I feel a lot better.

Kerri_P

by Kerri_P on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:19 pm

I would like a professional opinion on this. Anyone out there ;o)

All I want to be clear on is that I am cutting out two food groups from my diet so I need to be sure I'm doing the right thing. My doctor won't help so I need to know whether to carry on doing this or is there anyway to get to see a dietician??

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:50 pm

unfortuantely the hair analysis tests appear to have no scientific evidence to suppor ttheir claims at diagnoising allergy or intolerance. However, milk and wheat are the most common food related causes of these symptoms so these were definitely the right place to star.t Unfortuantely, food intolerance remains a rather contentious area and it does often take the patient to make the decision to try exclusion diets.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Kerri_P - you should ask your GP to refer you to a dietician to get this sorte out. There are 2 issues - firstly, are you getting enough of everything you need whilist being milk/wheat free and secondly, are one or other of these causing your symtpoms. You need ot be completely excluding them (to see if things get better) then reintroducing them one at a time to see if one or other then brings the symptoms back (hence confirming the diagnosis)
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

Kerri_P

by Kerri_P on Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:06 am

Thank you Adam. I have made an appointment for tonight with my Doctor, so we shall see if they refer me.

I will keep you posted.

Kerri_P

by Kerri_P on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:48 am

Well what a surprise!!!! Doctors were most unhelpful. Basically laughed me out of the surgery when I asked to be referred to a dietician. They just laughed and said you only have IBS its not serious enough to see one, even after explaining what I'd done re the test etc.

What's my next step now? I'm getting so frustrated.

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:29 pm

Dear Kerri_P,

I am sorry you have had difficulty getting referred to a dietician. In your first posting you mentioned that you have been told that you have the following nutritional deficiencies: anaemia, b12 deficiency, iron deficiency and vit D deficiency. I would recommend that these are retested and if you still are deficient then a dietetic review would be warranted and also potentially nutritional supplements.

However as an overview, if you are cutting out cow's milk from your diet, the main nutrient you could be lacking is calcium so you need to make sure you are getting enough of this by using either calcium fortified alternative milk (soya/oat-milk). There are lots of wheat/gluten alternative grains/flour such as buckwheat, corn (maize), rice flour, quinoa. What Adam Fox was suggesting was a strict avoidance on the potentially offending foods followed by reintroduction (one at a time). It would be best if you keep a diary of your symptoms. Usually it is a good idea to avoid certain foods for 4-6 weeks then reintroduce each sequentially over 4-6 weeks.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

15 posts