Fatigue and severe itching

If you think you suffer with a food intolerance, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Gerri13

by Gerri13 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:18 am

Fatigue and severe itching

Hi I'm new to the forum, so hopefuly, I have done this correctly.
I am looking to see if anyone can recongize these symptons as maybe been related to food. Extreme tiredness after eating and really itchy skin and when I scratch, I get large red welts on my skin. Could this be because of a certain food and how do I go about finding out?

Dr Stephen Till

by Dr Stephen Till on Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Fatigue and severe itching

Itching occurring on regular basis may be due to histamine release from immune cells in the skin (mast cells). In many cases people also develop hives (welts, known as urticaria) and scratching may make this worse, bringing on welts at the place where the skin is scratched. It is common for patients to worry that food allergy is the cause, although in practice this usually turns out NOT to be the case. Sometime physical triggers (e.g. exercise, heat, cold, sunlight) may make this worse, but again this is not always the case. Indeed, in most people this seems to happen for no obvious reason. Treatment is generally with antihistamines.

There is more information available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Nettle-ras ... ction.aspx
Dr Stephen Till
Consultant in Adult Allergy, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

2 posts