children with egg allergy

If you or your child has an egg allergy, or think you have an egg allergy, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
nil26

by nil26 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:12 am

children with egg allergy

Recently, My child has allergic to eggs. I concern with my doctor and he says that egg allergy is a type of food allergy. Most of time the food agency standards show that around 6 to 8 % of children are victim of egg allergy. The most common symptoms are skin reaction such as swelling of the tongue, rashes and throat infections.
Egg Allergy Symptoms

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:47 am

Re: children with egg allergy

Hi
egg allergy affects 1-2% of UK children. It is usually outgrown during childhood and fortunately reactions are usually mild and I have never encountered a fatal reaction to egg in a child. I am not sure the link you gave contains very accurate information. May be worth looking att he websites of the Anaphylaxis Campaign or Allergy UK.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

hayleyt

by hayleyt on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi!
Our son (9mths) has been diagnosed with an egg allergy. The letter said that it came back at 9.6 - is this severe? The letter seemed to hint that it is. It also said that over half the allergy protein in his blood were relating to his egg allergy. How concerned should i be?
Thanks!!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi, hope to you all my son by age 4 had out grown his egg allergy,
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 am

most egg allergy is fortunately outgrown during childhood (average approx 7-8 yrs) and only a few people take their egg allergy into adulthood. The blood level (specific IgE level) is not a measure of severity, it simply confirms the presence of the allergy. Severity of a reaction depends on many factors such as your state of health when you react, how much of the allergen you eat and what state it is in (eg how well cooked the egg is). FOrtunately, severe reacts to egg are pretty rare.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

5 posts