Skin prick tests

If you or your child has an egg allergy, or think you have an egg allergy, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
shazza

by shazza on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Skin prick tests

Hi there,
My son is 2 and has multiple food allergies, egg,wheat,soya,nuts and milk all which have been confirmed by blood tests and recently skin prick tests. When we got the skin prick tests the nurse told us that for my sons age we should expect to see a reaction around 6mm, his egg allergy came back at 15mm along with nuts at 12mm, wheat at 10mm, soya at 8mm and milk at 5mm. We are currently awaiting to see his doctor to explain these results but could you tell me what this means, does it mean he is less likley to grow out off his allergies?

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Re: Skin prick tests

the size of the test relates to the likelihood of being allegic so big wheal size means more confidence in the diagnosis of allergy. A big test does not mean he will have bad reactions but generally speaking, kids with bigger tests tend to have a more persistent allergy.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

shazza

by shazza on Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:22 pm

Thanks for your reply,
Could you tell me, Is it possible for a child with multiple allergies to NOT grow out of any of them or do they tend to grow out of a few at least?
My son is very shortsighted and his speech is very behind for his age(autism ruled out), he also seems to get ill alot. Do you think being on a restricted diet form a baby could have anything to do with it?

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:57 pm

it's impossible to be certain but there are very few genuinely milk or egg allergic adults out there. Bear in mind that alleergic kids tend to have slightly lower levels of immunoglobulin A- the part of the immne system that protects against counghs and colds and so these are more common in these kids. Fortunately, the part of the immune system that protects us from nasty infections is the same as eveyone else in allergic kids.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

4 posts