Nephrotic syndrome and dairy allergy

If you have questions about an allergy to dairy products ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
SusannaF

by SusannaF on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Nephrotic syndrome and dairy allergy

My seven-year-old daugher was diagnosed with steroid resistant nephrotic syndrome just over a year ago and is being treated with a range of immune surpressant medication which causes all the usual side effects, including diarreah and stomach pains. She is asthmatic and does have a history of unexplained stomach pains which precedes the SRNS diagnosis by a couple of years. We've just heard that there used to be a theory linking milk allergy and SRNS. Do you think it's worth exploring further or has that theory now been discounted? My daughter eats quite a lot of dairy, especially cheese and milk. Thanks very much, Susanna

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Re: Nephrotic syndrome and dairy allergy

Hi – the link between SRNS and milk allergy is not so much a theory as just something that has been noticed in a small number of cases. There is no proposed mechanism for how this may work but it is worth keeping an open mind as I have seen cases when dietary manipulation appears to have helped! Best get a proper assessment for the stomach pains if not the nephrotic syndrome.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts