Is asthma caused by an allergy to dairy products?

If you have questions about an allergy to dairy products ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Polly_P

by Polly_P on Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:02 pm

Is asthma caused by an allergy to dairy products?

I have read that asthma may have been caused by an allergy to dairy products. I did cut out diary for a while and saw no improvement in my asthma so now consume dairy products again. My asthma is now well controlled and i have actually increased my intake of dairy products recently so is it a myth that asthma is linked to dairy products or should I cut diary out of my diet?

I did ask my asthma clinic nurse but she said she hadn't heard anything about allergies and asthma be linked so couldn't support or deny the claims.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:56 am

Re: Is asthma caused by an allergy to dairy products?

Allergy is often closely linked to allergy but it would be inhaled allergens eg dust mite, pollens, pets etc that would be impacting and not food allergens such as milk. There is an ancient belief (stems from the 12th century) that milk makes you mucousy but there is no scientific basis to this. This is not to say that asthmatic people don't have food allergie s- they often do but not causing their asthma to be poorly controlled. Also, severe reactions in people with food allergy can involve wheeziness. However, cutting out foods to improve your asthma is almost invariably unhelpful.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts