Everything Cow related?

If you have questions about an allergy to dairy products ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Froggirl

by Froggirl on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Everything Cow related?

I've recently been told that I have a cow allergy and told this extends to milk and other food stuffs containing bovine elements. This isn't a big surprise as I've always reacted badly to yoghurt, milk and cheese. However, on speaking to a Doctor today, she was surprised that I should exclude Beef & Veal from my diet as well as the usual milk, butter, cheese, yoghurt, chocolate etc. Part of this was related to previous anemia problems but also she said its unusual to need to remove all the items from my diet. Is this correct? The original diagnosis was given by an alternative health professional rather than a doctor. Do I need to get tested at the doctors too? I've already spent many years travelling to Guy's hospital for Cat allergy treatment so am aware of what the diagnosis could involve.

Dr Stephen Till

by Dr Stephen Till on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Re: Everything Cow related?

A link between cow's milk and beef allergy can occur but is really not common. It might be worth getting assessed by an allergist, including testing, to check that are not avoiding things needlessly (presuming that is, that you would like to consume these things).
Dr Stephen Till
Consultant in Adult Allergy, Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

2 posts