Physcological Allergy?

If you have questions about an allergy to dairy products ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Marie06

by Marie06 on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Physcological Allergy?

Hello. A while ago, I stopped eating gluten and milk products to see if it helped relieve a symptom and I stopped eating it for two years and have gotten a bit frightened to eat it after so long and convinced myself I am allergic to milk. I recently plucked up the courage to just eat some milk chocolate and I had trouble swallowing for one-two days afterwards and couldn't really eat anything, but could drink fine. Obviously, since then, I haven't had milk at all. Could you please tell me if this is actually a symptom of a food allergy? I didn't have any other symptoms, and logically I think it must just be physcological but I just don't know and am too scared to eat it again.

After not eating milk for two years will I now have stopped producing lactase to digest lactose? and will my body treat milk the same now as it did before or am I more likely to have developed an allergy to it?

Sorry for such a long post but I would appreciate your help so much!
Thanks, Marie.

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Re: Physcological Allergy?

Dear Marie,

My answer really depends on the types of symptoms you had previously with cow's milk and gluten. Immediate allergic symptoms usually occur within the first hour and don't usually last 1-2 days. If it is an immediate allergy you usually get a rash (urticaria/hives), swelling and can get throat tightening and difficulty breathing. These are the potentially dangerous types of reactions. Delayed reactions can be more ambiguous; gut symptoms for example. It is safe for you to try reintroduction if you had delayed reactions as if your symptoms come back just stop the food and they will resolve.

All that said I don't think what you described is likely to be delayed allergy to cow's milk. I do not think you will have stopped producing lactase after stopping cow's milk, but perhaps your body will take a bit of adjusting. Perhaps keep a diary so you keep keep an eye on any delayed symptoms you have.

Kind regards,
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

2 posts