Possible wheat/gluten reaction in baby 6mths

If you have questions about either an allergy to wheat or to gluten, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
helencos

by helencos on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Possible wheat/gluten reaction in baby 6mths

My baby tried weetabix (with his formula milk) at 6 months old and we believe reacted to it - with a severe episode of vomiting and an all over rash (red skin with white blotches). The rash went within 12 hours following treatment of piriton received at our local A&E dept. We have not tried him on any other wheat or gluten containing product since for fear of a similar reaction. (He tried biccipegs for teething and had a red face).
Our GP referred him to hospital where blood was taken for testing (we're still waiting for the results). However the GP didn't think it was a wheat or gluten intolerance/allergy with that type of reaction. The consultant at hospital is also testing for coeliac disease too.
Could my baby have a wheat/gluten intolerance/allergy? And is it something that he can grow out of or something that fades with age? Or could it be something else?
Thank you.

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Re: Possible wheat/gluten reaction in baby 6mths

Dear Helencos,

If this reaction occurred within 30 minutes of eating the wheat and your baby has never tolerated wheat before then it is highly possible that your baby is wheat allergic. I would not give any further wheat, barley or rye products to your child. Maize (corn), rice and oats should be fine, however there is a . Please make you you have Piriton at home. Wheat allergy is usually outgrown; this will be guided by blood and/or skin prick tests. Your baby may have other allergies if they have wheat allergy but I am sure this will be considered by your hospital consultant.

Kind regards,

Helen
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:43 pm

Re: Possible wheat/gluten reaction in baby 6mths

Sorry the last part of the sentence regarding oats was not completed. There is a small chance of cross-reactivity between oat and wheat so introduce oat cautiously the first time.

Kind regards
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

3 posts