Possible intolerance or allergy?

If you have questions about either an allergy to wheat or to gluten, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
maidmarian

by maidmarian on Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Possible intolerance or allergy?

Hello. I have a question regarding likely allergies. I have recently been following a strict low carb diet. This has not included any bread, wheat or gluten containing products. Only natural fats/oils, meat, fish, eggs, cream etc. Since following this diet I have felt amazing! Before I would have an awful lot of gas, and suffer from painful trapped wind often. My bowels would be irregular (previously diagnosed by GP as IBS) and they were very noisy. Since being on this diet for 3 weeks all of these symptoms have disappeared. I have practically no gas, no bowel pain, motions are regular and normal, and no strange noises after I have eaten. Prior to the diet I was eating a lot of pasta, bread, and products made with flour. Yesterday being pancake day, I had a bad diet day and ate some pancakes. All night I suffered from strange noises in my bowel, feeling of movement, terrible pain and gas. Are these symptoms of an allergy/intolerance? Or just because I hadn't eaten this type of food for a while? I don't really think I realised how bad my symptoms were until they were gone. I am female in my 20's and dont to my knowledge have allergies to anything else. Thanks for any help.

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Possible intolerance or allergy?

Dear Maidmarian,

Removing wheat from the diet has been shown to improve IBS symptoms, so your experience of improved gut symptoms off wheat may be related just to IBS. However you should be screened for coeliac disease if you have not already had this screened for. You will need must be back on wheat/gluten for 6 weeks prior to the blood test.

Kind regards,
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

2 posts