Breathing Difficulties

If you have questions about either an allergy to wheat or to gluten, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
THEginger_nut

by THEginger_nut on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Breathing Difficulties

Good afternoon

I am currently eating 2 slices of bread a day in preparation for an endoscopy examination on 06.03.2012 to screen for Coeliac Disease. I started eating the bread on 19.01.2012, after a few months of not eating any wheat or gluten (which had greatly improved my M.E./CFS symptoms), and after two days I started having difficulties breathing. On 23.01.2012 I went to see a GP who tested my oxygen and listened to my lungs and heart and said everything seemed fine. I was given a weeks course of antibiotics and told it was probably a virus, and to go back if it gets worse or doesn't go away. After I finished the antibiotics I went back as there was no change and I saw another doctor. He listened to my chest and said it was clear and it was probably a virus and it will clear, just take it really easy.

I have elevated serum ACE (the gastroenterologist mentioned it) and negative EMA blood test. And I get hot and my heart beats really fast about 15 to 30 minutes after eating the bread.

I am worried that the difficulties I am having breathing are down to the wheat/gluten/bread, and would like to know if this is possibly an allergy? Also would the breathing affect the possibility of me being able to have the endoscopy?

Thank you in advance