How can I make sure my child is getting all the nutrients?

If you have allergies to several foods then this is the forum to ask our experts your questions.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
acslobod

by acslobod on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 am

How can I make sure my child is getting all the nutrients?

I am so frustrated! I am quite confident that my child does not have a balanced diet. She is often fatigued. She can't keep up with her peers. Until recently, she was wheezing daily. She has frequent diahrea, eczema, brittle hair and dry skin. She is very moody and does not sleep well. She has very little color and deep circles around her eyes. She is anaphylactic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts and peas. My husband and I both have fish allergies so, we don't serve fish to her either. Last fall, she swallowed a penny and for that week that it was in her, she seemed to be in perfect health. Since then, her wheezing has been very minimal. In fact, after six years of neb treatments, we actually removed the nebulizer from the table in our living room and put it away! So, naturally, I wondered if she were deficient in copper. I mentioned my concern to her pediatrician and allergist and they both seemed to get a good laugh from my thought. Neither would test her blood to see if she was deficient nor would they refer me to a dietician.

A week or so ago, I came across this site: http://www.whfoods.com/foodadvisor.php and completed the survey. According to the results, I wasn't surprised that she was deficient in calcium or Omegas.. but I was shocked that her #1 deficiency is Copper.. at 96% deficient! So, I arranged to see a nutritionist without a referral and was very disappointed to hear the same advice from her... just take a different multi-vitamin. So far the only safe multi I have found for her does not have Copper. Surely there is something more that I can do!?? I don't understand why no one is too concerned about her nutrition besides me. Thanks!

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: How can I make sure my child is getting all the nutrient

Hi
every child with multiple food allergy should be getting regualr assessment from a dietician and you have every right to ask you allergist for this referral. I would very much suggest you see a registered dietician rather than a nutrotionist. The 'dark circles' (also known as allergic shiners) could be a sign she has allergic rhinitis - this is common is kids with other allergies and stops them sleeping properly hence they are often very fatigued. Please discuss this with your doctors.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

acslobod

by acslobod on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: How can I make sure my child is getting all the nutrient

Thank you Dr Fox! I will try to be a bit more persistent with them. She doesn't seem to have classic environmental allergy symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, etc.. ) although in the past year we did notice her need for rescue breathing treatments and steroids was heavy in the spring and fall. Hopefully we can get this figured out soon! Thanks again! Ann

3 posts