Can I assume that foods based on 'safe' foods are also safe?

If you have allergies to several foods then this is the forum to ask our experts your questions.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
surreymummy

by surreymummy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:24 pm

Can I assume that foods based on 'safe' foods are also safe?

Hello

DD who is 4 1/2 has multiple food allergies and I've always been very nervous/scared of trying her with new foods. I have been wondering if it would be worth introducing foods that are based on something that she is okay with, for example, apples. She is fine with these so would she then automatically be okay with things that are made from it, so for example, shop bought Apple Juice or Cider Vinegar? Or Sunflower seeds as she is okay with sunflower oil? She is allergic to sesame and I avoid seeds generally as they always tend to be sold with the may contain nuts warning.

Also, would things like Olives in brine be okay if she is okay with Olive Oil?

Sorry if this is a slightly silly question, but I'm never sure what the process of preparing a food for the shelves does to the food.

Many Thanks

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:30 am

Re: Can I assume that foods based on 'safe' foods are also s

if you are ok with food in the plain form, derivatives should be fine. Remember it is the protein you are allergic to, which is in low levels in oils so being ok with sesame oil doesn't mean you would be ok with plain sesame but if you are ok with sunflower seeds, sunflower oil will be fine. However, more important is that with a child with food allergies you should be getting good , accessible advise from a dietician to take this strain for you. If you aren't, ask your GP to refer you.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts