Best treatment options for mild to moderate food allergy

If you have allergies to several foods then this is the forum to ask our experts your questions.

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
Redrose

by Redrose on Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Best treatment options for mild to moderate food allergy

Hello
My son was diagnosed with an allergy to nuts & sesame seeds at the age of two.
Skin prick tests showed severe allergy to all nuts (tree & peanut), sesame, dust mites & also eggs.
He is now 9 & has grown out of his egg allergy but on the last two occasions when he has been tested the skin prick tests have shown small positive reactions to nuts & sesame, but the blood tests have proved inconclusive. The last time a challenge test to sesame & other seeds was suggested however the consultant decided against it as he suffers with very mild asthma when he has a cold
My son has to carry an epipen & cetirazine at all times and since being diagnosed at two has only had 1or 2 what I would call serious reactions where whilst on holiday, he started to wheeze & came out in hives all over his body. We gave him a double dose of piriton and his inhaler and he recovered reasonably well.
Sorry about the long winded history but I just wanted to know
(1) Is cetirizine as suitable for a severe reaction compared to piriton, and if he has already used it that day can I give him another dose on top (sometimes he comes out in odd rashes on his legs & back &I give him cetirizine to help with his symptoms)
(2) He seems to be able to tolerate things which say may contain traces of nuts & seeds so is a challenge test worth doing and if the asthma symptoms are mild does it still mean it is too risky to consider.
(3) As he has not had any of the more common symptoms of lip swelling or tingling of the mouth for several years now is it possible he may have become more tolerant of the foods he is allergic to
We have been told that he does not need to attend the allergy clinic for a couple of years as now as his condition appears to be well managed.
Any thoughts or advice on the above would be really helpful
Thank you :)