Will my daughter share my allergies?

If you have a nut allergy or are concerned about the risks associated with nut allergies, ask our experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
AliT

by AliT on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Will my daughter share my allergies?

I have severe allergies to nuts and seafood. My daughter is now 14 months old and I am terrified of giving her the foods that I am allergic to, I have never given her any form of nuts and dont intend to anytime soon (if ever!) Is this the right thing to do? Although I didnt want her to eat either of these food groups her nursery fed her fishcakes made from Cod (which, for me, is my most severe allergy) and she was fine?

Im not sure whether I am being too over cautious? Any input would be appreciated.
Alex

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 am

Re: Will my daughter share my allergies?

all you can pass on is an allergic tendency and not specific allergies. Given the history, I would advise you have her tested now for evidence of any food allergy and if the tests are negative, get on and introduce all these foods into her diet to minimise the risk of her going on to develop the allergy. Delaying introduction is not helpful I'm afraid (despite the previous government advice!)
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts