Dust Mites

If you have any other allergies that don't fit into any of the other categories above please post your questions here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Boysmum

by Boysmum on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Dust Mites

My son has a confirmed dust mite allergy. We were advised to buy special matress/duvet/pillow protectors but I have a few questions.
Firstly, the bedding recommended to us is extremely expensive. Is it necessary to buy such expensive items for them to be effective? Are cheaper alternatives not effective?
Secondly, is there any evidence that using these products in isolation actually makes a difference? If I hoover the matress and hot wash all bedding every week instead will this be of any use?
Finally, I know my son spends hours a day in his bed so it is important to try to protect him but the other half of his life is spent on lounge carpets and sofas which in themselves must contain dust mites. It all seems a bit futile.
Thanks for any help & advice.
Boysmum.

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Dust Mites

to truly remove dust mite from the environment does require a combined approach of lots of measures, all of which in isolation have limited effect. Of all the measures, the bedding covers do seem to have the biggest effect but you are right, in isolation their effect may not be that impressive. The cheaper covers however, tend to be less effective or less confortable - the main thing is that the weave is small enough to stop allergen particles getting throuhg and that it completely encases the mattrress. The Allergy UK charter mark is a useful guide. If you are keento avoid these but do other things, you could see how effective you are being by buying a Ventia testing kit from www.inbio.com to measure the amount of dust mite allergen you have lying around.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts