i think im allergic to sperm

If you have any women's issues or general gynaecology questions that are not covered in any of the other gynaecology forums below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
bring-me-some-luck

by bring-me-some-luck on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 pm

i think im allergic to sperm

hi iv been having alot of problems with my lady parts, over the years iv been in a great deal of pain, including, swelling, red, tender, iv been to the doctors many times and they sent me to have test done but nothing has come back over the years apart from some thursh, about a year ago i discoverd it was getting worse when by partner ejaculated in me, within 10 minutes i would be in agony, all the symptons would come rushing back and its been so bad that i cant even walk because im that swollen and sore, i think i am allergic to his sperm? iv suggested it t the doctor but they dont really know where to go from here because its not common and they have never delt with it before and the obvious answer is to use a condom which we have been and havent had hardly any problems but what happens when we want to start a family? i constanly worrie about the future please help :(

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 am

Re: i think im allergic to sperm

unusual problem but there is a lot of information online about this...
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

bring-me-some-luck

by bring-me-some-luck on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Please tell me that that is not your reply, this is why I have no faith in the doctors, what you have told me I already know, I have looked on many web site about my problems, do you have any in mind that I should take a look at? That might tell me more than the basics....

Mr Peter Greenhouse

by Mr Peter Greenhouse on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:54 am

Hi - Semen allergy is a genuine, relatively rare but exceptionally distressing & inconvenient condition with no obvious or clear treatment pathway.
A tiny minority of women get acute anaphylaxis to sperm (where you get a severe skin rash, swelling of the throat & difficulty breathing) - but luckily your symptoms aren't at this extreme, and you won't ever suffer this if you haven't already.
Your description of the symptoms not occurring if you use a condom or he ejaculates inside you pretty well confirms the diagnosis, and also account for the fact that you occasionally get burning even if he does ejaculate outside - this will be because a small amount of ejaculate ("pre-cum") is produced naturally without him being able to control it.
Action:
1. Confirm the diagnosis - you're almost there. All you now need to do is to leave a small amount of his sperm on your inner thigh overnight without wiping it off. If the skin is red in the morning, then you've done your own "skin patch" test as would be done by a dermatologist.
2. Immediately after sex, if he has ejaculated inside, use a tissue to wipe it out, and then rub a small amount of Clotrimazole-with-hydrocortisone (Canesten HC) cream into the skin of the fourchette (the bit where the lower part of the vagina meets the outside skin of the perineum - between the 4 and 8 o'clock positions of the vaginal opening). The steroid in the cream should help to prevent the allergic response.
3. Consider getting a referral to an immunologist who may be able to desensitise you by exposure to very small, then gradually increasingly larger amounts of your partner's semen. This doesn't always work, but may provide a long term solution.

In the meantime, provided your partner is OK using condoms or ejaculating outside, then just carry on with this. Your long-term concerns about fertility are not as serious a problem as you think, if you simply limit ejaculation inside the vagina to once a month just before mid-cycle (sometime around day 11-13, counting day 1 as the first day of your bleed).

Hope this helps.
Mr Peter Greenhouse
Consultant in Sexual Health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nhouse.php

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes it helped me too - very interesting I learned something new here!
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

5 posts