Recovery post D and C

If you have any women's issues or general gynaecology questions that are not covered in any of the other gynaecology forums below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:05 am

Recovery post D and C

I had a D and C six months ago.Have never given birth.Since then I have gotten some very sharp pains on and off which feel like they are from the womb/cervix region.These just come on suddenly but nearly cause me to double over and would take my breath away.They are more frequent just before my period.The only thing I could say is thay are like a brief contraction.The cervix still feels like it is open/stretched compared to what it was.How long should it take for the cervix to return to normal and are these pains a normal part of recovery after this procedure.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:17 am

Re: Recovery post D and C

Hi - it's probably not right to ask on the internet but it depends on your age - and the reason for the 'd&c'

I presume they did a hysteroscopy as well? Are you still having regular periods - if they also changed the pain could be due to Asherman's syndrome, where the womb lining has become scarred following the 'd&c', although unlikely...
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:22 am

Age 35,did the D AND C heavy periods with bleeding between them.Periods still as heavy.No hysteroscopy.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks - then I think the way forward is to ask for a referall for a hysteroscopy, and if all well there, a more definitive treatment for your periods
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

4 posts